Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Monday Good Friday

A good friend of one of our members called to let me know that he had been in for a visit and his long-time pal was failing and probably dying.

I went to the nursing home, one of several in the area dealing with "bugs" these days. It means they discourage visitors. They let me in when they knew I was his pastor, which told me that they figure the end can't be too far off.

It was an odd scenario as I entered his room with a mask on. He was not responsive but I took a few minutes next to his bed. I began by reading the Easter story from John's gospel, which offers a resurrection promise but moves through loss and grief to get there.

I said a prayer and then I put my hand on his shoulder and thanked him for being such a gentleman when I have visited him. In my five years here I have seen him in his home, in the hospital (several times in emerg and critical care) and in three different nursing facilities. He has been prone to tumbles in latter years and would look as though he had been mugged. Invariably he would express his gratitude for a meaningful, fulfilling life, despite his woes. Yesterday he could'nt speak and the shoulder under the blankets was all bone, a reminder of his steady weight loss.

You might think that this sort of visit would become easier, or more straightforward over time. After all, I have plenty of practice. It is the opposite, probably the cumulative effect of so many "Good Fridays" in the lives of good, kind folk with unique personalities.

Please Christ comfort this man and his family. Easter is coming.

No comments: