Friday, June 06, 2008

Human being

People in the St. Paul's congregation as well as other friends and family continue to be kind and supportive during my restorative leave. This is meaningful, especially since I wasn't required to reveal the nature of my absence from work.

My goal during these months away is restoration of body, mind, and spirit. I have been encouraged to get away from the community during a portion of this time because it is hard to take ten steps without bumping into folk I know. The gym, the grocery store, the end of my driveway on garbage day are venues for conversation. Not a single person has pried or been anything other than kind, but at times life feels a little claustrophobic. I am letting go of my over-developed sense of responsibility for everything and everyone.

Among the several things I am doing during this time is undergoing thorough medical tests. This is good since I just found out that my triglycerides are so elevated that it was not possible to get an accurate reading on other indicators in my blood. The doctor told me in a matter-of-fact manner that my levels increase my risk of a heart attack five-fold. Good to know! I am now on medication to correct this.

We were both a little surprised because I eat well, exercise "religiously", and keep my weight in check. I have never smoked. All the things recommended to avoid this sort of problem. Only a few years ago this was not registered as a problem at all. It may be genetics -- my grandfather died of a heart attack in his fifties -- and perhaps stress. Body, mind, and spirit.

So, I will do my best to be a "human being" during this next while rather than just a "human doing." I am feeling better, reading, praying, staying active. God is present.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I was reading something recently that referred to the "do-be-do" religion getting out of balance...way too much doing, not enough being...and it resonated with me. It seems too often all the doing is just a way of "avoiding" listening to the deeper whispers of the heart. "Be still and know that I am God" is my mantra.... even if only a few minutes, most days? Walk gently through the days, feel our prayers and take care of you.