Thursday, January 01, 2009

Self Control for 2009!

Welcome to a New Year! It is a sunny -18 celcius here in Southern Ontario, or about zero fahrenheit for our American friends. I appreciate that this is sunbathing and barbecue weather for readers in Saskatchewan and Alberta, but it feels cold for us wimps in the Banana Belt.

Have you made any resolutions for 2009? If you need help in your resolve, go to church. I know this seems like a fairly self-serving suggestion but according to a piece in the New York Times a recent study has found that going to church or synagogue or mosque on a regular basis strengthens the qualities of discipline and self-control in other aspects of life. No, I am not making this up!

The scientist who directed the study is not much of a churchgoer himself, but in reviewing eight decades of research and doing his own studies he has found that those who worship regularly absorb and reinforce the positive values of their religion. They are more likely to wear seatbelts, go to the dentist and take vitamins, Did I mention that I'm not making this up?

It even makes a difference if people are churchgoers rather than being spiritual in their outlook.
I quote:

In one personality study, strongly religious people were compared with people who subscribed to more general spiritual notions, like the idea that their lives were “directed by a spiritual force greater than any human being” or that they felt “a spiritual connection to other people.” The religious people scored relatively high in conscientiousness and self-control, whereas the spiritual people tended to score relatively low.

All I can say is, I hope I see you in church soon. Here is a link to the article http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/30/science/30tier.html?_r=1&ref=science

2 comments:

Laura said...

Interestingly, I listened as friends talked of new year's resolutions last evening. "Starting up" at mass in January, was one fellow's contribution to the resolutions discussion....they just hadn't been able to squeeze it (mass) in over Christmas, though. Ironic, I thought, but being the unobtrusive United church-er, I didn't invite debate over "squeezing" Christ into Christmas. I did perhaps "go on' a bit long though,as I told of the girls involvement in so many wonderful and meaningful Christmas activities at St Paul's. I don't know that church attendance helped my self control as the cookie plate went round and round this Christmas but as I wandered home from that gathering, I felt like the lucky one for all that I benefitted,self control or otherwise, from church attendance. Happy New Year to all.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for making the case for Christ in Christmas Laura! I am with you as someone who "fell off the wagon" (food-wise) during the season.