Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Miracle of Music


The goal is to hold our worship service outdoors today and to have a congregational picnic afterward. The weather forecast is iffy, but that is always the risk in worshipping a step closer to the Creator.

Several musicians will take part in leadership since it is tricky transporting our pipe organ. Worship wouldn't be the same without making a joyful noise.

This past week the papers on both sides of the Atlantic have included articles about ancient flutes discovered in Europe last year. German researchers have published a paper claiming these flutes are 35,000 years old. Think about this. Jesus lived 2,000 years ago and King David, the harp player, roughly 3,000 years ago. What we consider to be civilization gets sketchier as we move farther back in the annals of history. But thirty five millenia ago our human ancestors were expressing themselves through music.

As an art history graduate I have always felt the strong connection between artistic expression and spiritual experience. Music is a powerful way to offer praise to the deity and we are told that the night before his death Jesus and his disciples sang a hymn before they left the table and walked into the night.

There are a number of musicians amongst this blog's readers, people who sing and play in their worship settings. You have told me that your musical expression is not an "extra," it is at the heart of your faith.

I'm interested to hear your responses, whether you are intentional church musicians or those who are more the "rank and file" hymn singers.


4 comments:

shirport said...

Music absolutely is at the heart of my faith. The old hymns bring back memories of my formative years attending church. New, contemporary church music gives me fresh insights into my faith. Anthems sung by the choir bring scripture passages to life.Our anthem this morning by the wonderful Canadian musician Ron Klusmeier was called "The Daughter of Jairus" and the scripture for the morning was the Mark 5 passage telling that story.The scripture, the anthem, the sermon each enhanced the other.Deceptively simple Taize songs bring a sense of peace and calm. Powerful organ music lifts my spirit heavenward. Rousing praise choruses make me want to smile and reach out and connect with those around me. When a sermon fails to move me, the music always does.

Nancy said...

I find it is always music that can comfort the soul. It can comfort in good times and in bad, it doesn't matter, there is always something out there. I love to listen to music, and sing along (although no a great singer).
As a parent of a preteen, I am not always moved by the "headbanger" music the preteen loves to listen to, but if it makes her move and shake, which it does, then I tolerate it. It is interesting how one's taste in music evovles with age. There is something for everyone!

David Mundy said...

Thanks for these responses -- I would be interested to read more.

I think that Klusmeier piece is my favorite of his work. The first time I heard it was in a workshop with Ron and his first wife, nearly 30 years ago. It was in Gander with only a handful of people present. She sang it as he played.

Deborah Laforet said...

I don't think I've heard that song by Klusmeier. I will have to look it up.

We had our outdoor worship service last Sunday. We had a mixture of Voices United and More Voices, guitar, drum, and of course, our voices. For me, worship isn't complete without singing. Singing is worship.