Friday, February 19, 2010

Coming Clean

On Wednesday evening I drew a comparison between King David, the penitent source of Psalm 51, and the disgraced golfing phenom, Tiger Woods. It happened that on Ash Wednesday Woods announced that he would meet the media today. I am not anticipating some great outpouring of contrition on Woods' part. His press conference will be carefully orchestrated. It is an "invitation only" gathering and he will not entertain questions. Basically, he will make a statement and leave.

Other golfers have expressed their annoyance because this comes in the midst of an important tournament. Why couldn't he have chosen another time? And TV networks are going to stop Olympic coverage to focus on this rather sordid display. So much for the emphasis on pure athletic endeavour.

The readings on Wednesday were about responding from the heart. Psalm 51 is a powerful recognition of wrong-doing and a cry for mercy. In the passage from Matthew 6 Jesus criticizes those who engage in public displays of piety when honest religion comes from within.

Are you feeling a little cynical about Tiger's press conference? I confess that I am. One headline asks How Will Tiger Spin His Tale? Is there much point after what he has done? What would you hope for from such an exercise? Wil he "come clean?"
************************************
Since I wrote this morning Tiger had his press conference. And as I am attempting to give up being judgemental for Lent I will try to take his statement at face value. Ultimately this is between Woods, his family and God. Here is part of what he said:
“I want to say to each of you simply and directly: I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behaviour. I know I have bitterly disappointed all of you. I have made you question who I am and how I have done the things I did. I am embarrassed that I have put you in this position. For all that I have done, I am so sorry. I have a lot to atone for,” he said, later adding: “I was unfaithful. I had affairs. I cheated. What I did is not acceptable. And I am the only person to blame. I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in.”

10 comments:

IanD said...

Looooooooosssssssssseeeeeeeeer.

roger said...

Really...who cares. There are so many things going on in the world that need work, such as poverty, hunger, getting me a ticket to an Olympic event, etc., and everyone(ie the media) is in a tizzy over this. After his talk, there was even an analysis on the words he used. One tv guy even said how impressed he was that Tiger didn't blame anyone or accuse anyone, but blamed himself instead. Well, duh!! Who else would he blame?! You're right, David, it was all well orchestrated.

Why do we give so much attention to these "celebrities"? It also bothered me that Gretzky was the guy lighting the Olympic flame. Here is a guy who has already had years and years of accolades and being idolized as a professional athlete. Did we really need him to do this too? How about letting a youth who has gone above and beyond the call of duty in community volunteering do it. Or a disabled athlete. Imagine how it would affect their lives - they would never forget it. Anyone but a professional athlete!

David Mundy said...

Good points -- I probably would have done well to ignore the apology altogether.

I like what you're saying about the Olympic torch Johnny. As much as I think Clara Hughes was a great pick for carrying the flag, I thought the suggestion of Brian McKeever, the blind skier, might even have been better.

So, a guy rights the blog and two guys respond. Interesting.

Nancy said...

It's guys who followed the press conference, never even gave it a thought!! :)

IanD said...

Casting the Tiger aside for a moment, I have to disagree on the Gretzky point.

Wayne Gretzky is indisputably Canada's most distinguised ambassador in sport. He is also North America's most statistically dominant athlete in team competition and has transcended the game to become a Canadian icon. He is as Canadian as maple syrup, toques, discussig the weather and Tim Horton's coffee lineups.

Most importantly, he, like many famous Canadians, worked his way from humble roots to the height of his craft and never once along the way lost his humility, grace, honour or dignity. He is arguably our most soft-spoken, well-spoken and thoughtful sportsman and his contributions/spokesman status to and for various charities since 1979 (including Ronald McDonald House, the Special Olympics and Muscular Distrophy among others) helped raise countless dollars for those causes.


On the ice, Gretzky represented Canada 61 times in international competition, scoring (fittingly) 99points along the way. He was captain of those teams for 52 of those 61 games.

On every front (personal example, statistical dominance, national recognition, international reputation) he stands out amongst all of our best athletes, past and present.

I understand that in many circles, Gretzky is considered unfashionable, or even unworthy for the honor based on his personal fortune. Placed in the proper context(s), however, there really could have been no other choice.

To say otherwise is to ignore the facts and ignore the man's life, body of work, and what he means to the country.

Nancy said...

Ok, but where does he make his home? I don't think he's moved back to Canada!!

Laurie said...

Gotta go with Nancy on both her points, never gave Tiger Woods a thought and I don't really see Gretzky spending much time in Canada.

IanD said...

Hopefully, being a great Canadian doesn't hinge upon whether or not one stays in Canada after being born here.

Under that criterion, Lester Pearson, Pierre Trudeau, Sir John A. Macdonald, Timothy Eaton, William Cornielius Van Horne, Leonard Cohen, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, James Cameron, Robertson Davies, Michael J. Fox, John Kenneth Galbraith, Fergie Jenkins, Peter Jennings, Mario Lemieux, Paul Schaeffer, Neil Young, William Shatner and Alex Trebek - to name a few - wouldn't make the grade.

IanD said...

PS - I should mention that many famous Canadians on that list were both immigrants from Europe or America that came, then went, after making their name here. Macdonald and Eaton are chief amongst these.

David Mundy said...

Wow, I detect a mild note of fanaticism about The Great One Ian!
Okay, they do describe us as "fans" and there could be worse choices than Gretzky. Lively exchanges! Thanks.