Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Power of Worship


Last Sunday we worshipped at First Metropolitan United Church, the downtown Victoria congregation which hosted the Epiphany Explorations conference I was attending. It was a very positive worship experience for several reasons. We celebrated communion as congregants, something which is rare for me because I am almost always the celebrant and also unusual in that Ruth and I could worship side by side. Often my worship experiences are during the summer when congregations are in sleep mode and ministers are on vacation. It can be less than inspiring. The preacher was an energetic guest who had something to say and said it with conviction.

The music was sublime, and fit with my ultimate assessment that the music of Epiphany Explorations was the most meaningful aspect of the conference this year. There was a choral introit which led us into the presence of God. The singers were a dozen mostly university age types who weren't just performing, they were ministers of word and song.

We sang some hymns that were contemporary and one I didn't know. Thank God, including gratitude for the one that was new to me. After thirty years of ministry and fifty six years in the church I have come to love many older hymns more deeply as well as craving the mind and spirit opening music of faith which is the expression of God's living, in-this-moment Spirit. So I have to sing one hymn where I muddle along. Big deal! The next time I sing that one I will be more comfortablewith it, and by the third time it will be part of my repertoire. In one hymn the women sang one of the verses, and for another the men. Now, there were probably a hundred men within the congregation and they were basically a singin' crowd. But it was so moving! I got a big lump in my throat hearing so many men heartily singing God's praise.

With two exceptions you weren't at the conference. But most of you are regular worshippers. What does my description evoke for you about worship generally and music specifically?

3 comments:

IanD said...

That sounds like a very moving, rejuvenating experience, David.

While I was at Queen's, I'd periodically head to Chalmer's United Church on Sundays and their music director (David Cameron, I believe) was something else. His organ work was complex, lush and interesting as he often re-worked themes on the fly and worked the stops like nobody's business. He was a real draw for muso students like myself.

Now having said that, I've got to say (with obvious bias) that St. Paul's is still my favorite musical worship experience. Sure, my old man is behind the pipes, and so many friends and familiar faces from my youth are in the choir, but it's always a joy to roll in on Sundays to hear all of those great people make that wonderful noise.

sjd said...

Dear David.
I greatly enjoyed our service this morning, although we were very "Canadian" in our enthusiasm. I get the message. I have no doubt God is in charge.
With regards to your previous blog entry, the Wall St. and Bay st. people seem to think they are the ones incharge. I hope they figure it out, but I have my doubts.
I'll refer back to your recent entry on forgivness. Have we all found it in our heart to forgive those who manipulated our savings, RRSR's, and investments into the toilet yet?

Deborah Laforet said...

Music is the highest point of worship for me, although I don't feel it as much when I am always the worship leader. Being among others who love to sing and where I can be a part of the group, is amazing. Whether the hymn is old or new, contemporary or traditional, I can feel the Spirit moving in me and within us as we sing.