Friday, June 24, 2011

Will Your Anchor Hold?



I was a bit surprised at some of the hymns that made the cut when the United Church hymn book Voices United was published fifteen years ago -- yup its been that long. One of them was the rousing Will Your Anchor Hold.


Will your anchor hold in the storms of life?

When the clouds unfold their wings of strife,

when the strong tides lift and the cables strain,

will your anchor drift or firm remain?



We have an anchor that keeps the soul

steadfast and sure while the billows roll,

fastened to the rock which cannot move.

grounded firm and deep in the Saviour's love!




You gotta love that exclamation mark, but most of us live in a post-anchor world, literally and figuratively.


I thought of this hymn the other morning when I saw a news item about a US rescue boat on the Niagara River, just above the falls. The jet boat set out to save some teens who were on the river and lost in the fog. Then their boat lost power and the police and teens on board were at risk of going over the falls, almost certainly to their deaths. The roar at the lip grew louder but they couldn't see it. They threw out the anchor, which caught, and waited helplessly. A Canadian helicopter came in to rescue all of them. How's that for dramatic?


There have been times in life when I haven't been able to see my way forward and wondered what was next. My faith in God was not just a comfort, it was both the anchor keeping me from going over the edge and the helicopter dropping out of the fog for the dramatic rescue.


How about for you? Have their been times when God was anchor and rescuer in tough times?

4 comments:

roger said...

I have had discussions with my daughter about religion and spirituality, as it seems we are quite different in our beliefs.

I find that life has more meaning when I hold onto the belief that there is a God and that there is an afterlife.

Having gone through some tough times over the past couple of years, I don't think I would have coped nearly as well if I hadn't had those beliefs.

Not Alone said...

Althought I have never thought the analogy of my faith being an anchor applied as I try to stay off boats in deep water and just keep to my kayak. I am happy to proclaim that my faith has kept me 'grounded' throughout many tough times. I am so glad the hymn was kept... I couldn't help but break the silence and sing aloud the words in your blog.

dmy said...

I love this hymn and found myself humming along while I read the words...words that are so old fashioned (billow, strife) and then phrases like "storms of life" that apply to all generations, past and future. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not have made it through several rough times without my faith and anchor, a life preserver in the storm.

David Mundy said...

Thank you for these responses!