Friday, February 10, 2012

Unreal




How would you define a Christian marriage? Is there such an institution? I would say yes, but I realize that the term conjures up conservative Christian notions of hubbies as the boss men and wives as thesubmissive lil' missus. The promise of a relationship of mutual respect where faith is shared works much better for me.





There is a new book which is your answer to a real marriage It's called --wait for it-- Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together, by Pastor Mark Driscoll and his wife who I'm guessing is submissive. Driscoll is the "manly" pastor at Mars Hill church in Seattle and he is an expert on sex, and good marriages -- just ask him. I will admit that I haven't read the book and I thank God for reviews which have convinced me I never will. Even a sympathetic review wondered why Driscoll feels that he is qualified to give folk sex advice.





The same review tells us that Driscoll saya "Wives are "crystal goblets," beautiful and fragile; men are "thermoses," strong and protective. Men are to lead, women to submit, although submission is carefully redefined as "respect" and leadership as "taking responsibility."





Dear readers, where do these people come from and why do they have congregations of thousands of followers? I don't wanna be a thermos. I don't wanna be married to a crystal goblet -- I would be worried 24/7. I love my independent, resourceful wife and she doesn't need to be delicate to be Christian.





Are you in a real marriage? Are you happy you aren't in a Real Marriage?. Reaction?

3 comments:

Shane H. said...

Sounds like that "thermos" needs to be dropped on his lid.

IanD said...

... after he finishes dragging his wife behind him by her hair ...

Or was that scatching sound his knuckles dragging?

sjd said...

I believe I'm in a real marriage. I have the certificate to prove it.

I've not read the book, but I'm pretty sure that my "real" marriage will not fit into anyones cookie cutter.

I'm writing this on Valentines day. What better day to reflect on how fortunate I am to have such a wonderful partner in marriage.