Friday, November 30, 2012

Life of Pi


We saw Life of Pi on the weekend, the film based on Yan Martel's award-winning novel. We donned the 3D glasses (why must everything be in 3D these days?) and sat back to enjoy. We thought the acting was excellent and that Ang Lee managed to create a fine film out of what we imagined would be an unfilmable story.

The action scenes were impressive --the tiger named Robert Parker was consistently scary-- but I liked the way the boy Pi earnestly explored several religions, claiming to be a convert to all of them. Actually, I don't feel that can happen, but we can have an openness, respect, even a sense of wonder, to religions other than our own.

In the end, the adult Pi invites the young author who will write his tale to "choose the best story." Isn't that the invitation when it comes to our faith? I happen to believe that Christianity is the best story, but I can hear other narratives.

Our older youth group kids went to see it on Sunday evening. I am curious to know what they thought.

Have any of you seen Life of Pi or read the book? What did you think about the exploration of religion and faith?

What on earth, or in sea, is Oyster-tecture?
http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2012/11/oyster-tecture.html

6 comments:

IanD said...

I remember hearing the buzz about this movie around TIFF time, and the commercial certainly made me wonder what I would do if a tiger ended up in my boat!

I just might make the trek for this one! (After The Hobbit, of course.)

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see this! I read the book years ago, and must re-read it this weekend.

roger said...

Saw the movie this week and loved it. Well acted and always entertaining...I loved the interaction between Pi and the tiger.

The movie did make me think about religion, and the notion of having several beliefs at once.

A great adventure movie, but one that is thoughtful and intelligent.

willowjakmom said...

Jake (my oldest) and I saw it last week and loved it as well. It was one of the most beautiful films I have seen in a long time and despite the fact that I typically hate 3D, I thought it was used wonderfully to enhance the experience, rather than make it its own character. It was thought-provoking and I thought they did a great job at making a somewhat confusing story, into one that different generations could enjoy and talk about.

Laura said...

Chiming in late but a small group of youth did go last Sunday. It was alot to digest, and a certain Sunday Night Championship Football game was calling so a full discussion didn't happen after but you could tell they were thinking hard.
A youngin' ahead of us wept, as she witnessed the underlying truth of survival of the fittest..and although not played up in the film still more than little eyes want to see.
I didnt enjoy the book too much on the first read years ago, but having seen the film thought I'd give it another try, and would say enjoying the book more than the movie, after the fact but did enjoy the movie...fabulous visuals.
The scenes with a real tiger are connected to Bowmanville..Jonah, from the local zoo plays Richard Parker.
It is good to be able to believe in things unseen, and improbable and on my first read...that is what I struggled with. Glad I returned to it.

Laurie said...

Late to comment on this, but here it is. This was one of the most disappointing movies this year. Did not like it much at all. The teen actor was very good, but that is about the best I can say about the movie.