Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Mark of Zoroastrianism!


This past Sunday was the new year for one of the world's oldest religions,  a religion you may not know. It is called Zoroastrianism and it may be more than 3,000 years old, vastly predating Christianity and perhaps older than Judaism. I think I wrote some years ago about my encounter with the Zed religion. While in Halifax a documentary film-maker in the congregation decided to do a doc on the religion and pitch it to Vision TV. I was to be the project's spiritual advisor even though I knew only slightly more than zip about the religion. Vision was keen, but he quickly ran into some hurdles. He wanted to visit Iran and Iraq, where Zoroastrianism has its roots. Apart from the danger, neither country is partial to Westerners. And where do you find a Zoroastrian in Canada? There was a time when Z... (you know) had millions of followers around the world. Today's estimates are 200,000, the majority in the Middle East.

Richard, the film-maker, tracked down a lovely and open family living in Bedford, just outside Halifax. He zeroed in on the twenty-something daughter because she was born here and faced the challenges of finding someone within her religion despite being quite North American in her sensibilities. Oh yes, she was also pretty. There was and probably still is a yearly Zoroastrian cruise for young adults, a sort of Love Boat for adherents of a disappearing religion.

The film eventually got made although I was long gone from Halifax by the time it was done and broadcast.

Why should we care about the Zed religion? Well, scholars generally believe that the Magi or Wise Men were Zoroastrian astrologers/astronomers from Iran -- journeying from the East and all that. And some suggest that the contrasts between good and evil, as well as light and darkness in Christianity found their way into our faith from Zoroastrianism. I'm not so sure, but it is an interesting concept.

Do you know anything about Zoroastrianism? Do you care? Have I enlightened or totally confused you?

My Groundling blog is back http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2013/08/feisty-sisters.html

1 comment:

Judy said...

Zoroastrianism is a faith/religion I know very little about - but you have made me curious enough to do some reading - after Kids' Camp is over, and after I finish the novel I am reading ...