Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Very, Very Scary!


We are going to ask our neighbours how many kids might show up for Halloween tomorrow. At our previous home the busy street meant that hardly anyone showed at our door, with the exception of a few children from the congregation and a handful of others. Halloween is one of those pagan festivals that was "borrowed" by Christians and apparently has been given back in its entirety. Christmas and Easter are also coopted pagan hooplas, probably because it allowed the people of The Way to celebrate Christ's birth and resurrection without anyone noticing because they were too busy partying. But we still understand the Christian connection for C&E, whereas it would probably surprise most people to discover that Halloween was ever Christian. I find it funny that Halloween has been turfed from so many schools these days, but not because of the religious issue.

Halloween is a "thin time" when the membrane between this world and the next is very permeable. Our scary pumpkins were originally scary turnips employed to ward off dark spirits. But it was also the opportunity to remember those who have left this life and entered another.

I find it odd that a fair number of conservative Christians won't celebrate Halloween because of its pagan origins. The faulty logic has been pointed out by insightful commentators. Does that mean we shouldn't celebrate Christmas or Easter then? And the same is true of the connection with evil, the evil of spirits roaming the Earth. But don't we Christians speak of the biblical "cloud of witnesses" surrounding us at all times? I feel badly for those disappointed Christian children who aren't allowed to trick-or-treat because their parents are spooked by the occasion. Surely their God has a little more traction than the odd grumpy spirit or two?

I do wish we could find a way to celebrate All Hallows Eve and the Saints and Souls days more with some verve in the church. I think the imagery is beautiful and holy and uplifting. In the meantime I'll hope that not too many kids show so I can snack on those awesome mini-treats. Did you know that when their that small they have no calories. No really.

Any comments about Halloween from a faith perspective, or are you just hoping that you don't get your windows egged?

7 comments:

Judy said...

I have always enjoyed "shelling out" to the neighbourhood kids., and seeing their costumes... and 99.9% of them have always been very sweet and polite - never had eggs thrown at me - this year, I won't be home to do this ! (Choirs - must rehearse, you know ! ) I have never liked the broader culture's focus on horror at this time of year, however.

dmy said...

Our choir practice is cancelled on Thurs. so we can enjoy the little ghosts & goblins that come to the door and also take our own children/grandchildren out, so much fun for everyone! I have never really thought about the pagan origins as far as restricting our children from trick or treating and like Judy I don't focus on or enjoy the horror aspect at this time of year. And yes David I did know that the tiny chocolate bars have no calories.

Laura said...

Last Halloween the Tweens of our congregation created a spooky space in our sanctuary on their regular Friday evening gathering. They claimed it was the best home made haunted space ever and attendance at it's best. I did worry some myslef about how I felt using this holy space for spooky fun and can't say I didn't sweat a bit when the same number of plastic mice and rats couldn't be found at clean up time as set up time. Fortunately 2 little folks found them at story time on Sunday to fascination not alarm. (I don't think an unassuming adult would have been so composed.)
As we will this year, prior to the secular,spooky fun and sugary treats we gather for our prayer and devotion time and talk about the roots of Halloween and All Saints Day. Seems to me to offer a great opportunity at understanding and fun.
My young trick or treater pronounced huge excitement arriving home from school becuse it is almost here. She'll trick or treat with her Youth Group pal.They'll scare each other at Friday night's party at the church. They'll look forward to see each other Sunday morning again and listen as we remember those who passed through that "membrane" this year and their young lives fill up with experience and gain layers of understanding.
And David, my better half would tell you, you never ask how many will come, you just guess and multiply it by four, so there are sure to be enough(leftovers)

David Mundy said...

Ah yes, not much rattles you Laura, but I do recall you being a tad nervous about those mice before worship! I'm glad that your unholy little ghosts will have fun and learn about Halloween and All Saints.

Unknown said...

Kim and I are sad this year this is the first year we wont have ghost or goblims roaming the streets so that i can get my tootsie roll fix (shh dont tell anyone a little extra insulin) living in the country shelling out has become a gas guzzling adcenture as our closest neighbour at one point as 4 kilo away we drove out to the hiway that night 32 km stopping at homes lite up and halloween became a social event with cake and coffee and candy. So the idea of fellowship embraced halloween . this year i am going out as a fireman hold on im coming home so its really not a costume is it

Unknown said...

This is one of my favourite times of year with the darkening days and nature stripping off its finery to reveal its essential bare self. The season of winter begins at Samhain, the Celtic New Year, on the eve of November. Unfortunately Hallowe'en emphasizes ghoulish fascination with ghosts rather than reverence for our beloved ancestors. Tonight I will light a candle for the ones who have gone before me. I will remember and be thankful for their lives.

David Mundy said...

I detect some self-interest in your nostalgia John.

I like your idea of lighting a candle Fiona, for all we hold precious in this life as well as the next.