Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Cancer Day. Hope Day?

myths.jpg


I have noted before that I couldn't possibly keep up with all the national and international "Day of" and Day for" occasions in this blog. There may be an International Day of No Subject in Particular, although its likely that all 365 in the year are taken, and then some.

This is World Cancer Day, a day that I obviously prefer did not have to exist. The theme this year is the myths of cancer, some of which are illustrated above. I fervently wish that this disease in all its forms had long ago been eradicated, and that all the wonderful people in my various pastorates hadn't had to contend with cancer's awful toll on their lives and of those around them. This year the theme is "debunking myths" which makes sense. http://www.worldcancerday.org/

Everyone in pastoral ministry has been a companion alongside those with cancer. Some of our folk have lived far longer than their prognoses, while others have gone quickly. More importantly from my standpoint is that many have been treated and recovered. Some have gone into remission for years, while others have been given the "all clear." During 30-plus years of ministry some cancers which were automatic death sentences have become treatable. Both chemotherapy and radiation have become more sophisticated, so they provide a viable treatment option that doesn't always seem worse than the disease itself. Detection seems to have become much better as well, which makes a difference to longevity. This is the hopeful aspect of this day.

But I do think of so many individuals I have respected and loved who died because of cancer, and it is sobering. We have also been told this week that the incidence of cancer is about to increase rather than diminish, which is an ominous prospect.

Today I pray for members of this congregation who are contending with cancer. There a number of them. I pray for a sister-in-law who will soon begin another round of treatment after hoping that she would be given a respite of a few more months, or even years, before that possibility. I pray for all the family members and friends of those living with cancer, because they live with it too. I pray for researchers and fund-raisers and lab technicians and palliative care staff.

God give them courage and stamina and a sense of your abiding presence.

Comments? What are your prayers today? Have you dealt with cancer on a personal level?

3 comments:

roger said...

Cancer, heart disease, stroke...it all makes me try really hard to live life to the fullest. You never know what today will bring.

I know that's an overused cliche, but having had a good friend drop dead, yet he was very physically fit from playing squash and cycling, was a real lightning bolt for me.

Unknown said...

My prayers are the same as yours, David - for other diseases and their victims as well.. "The Life Abundant" is hard to achieve when you are suffering from some of these illnesses. Siblings and friends have all experienced this.

joy said...

HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR  omohan My name is joy, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. omohan, She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: dromohanspell@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now: +2348164816038
Dr. omohan also cures:
1. HIV / AIDS
2. HERPES 1/2
3. CANCER
4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
5. Hepatitis B