Monday, August 18, 2014

Honesty and Acceptance

I don't listen to the music which comes out of evangelical circles nor do we use that music in our worship. We are trying to include more contemporary Christian music but the praise genre from the evangelical world isn't a good fit for us. I do realize that it can be quite powerful and attracts a younger demographic. The composers and performers often become very popular. One of those artists, Vicky Beeching, came out as gayWednesday in an interview with the U.K. newspaper The Independent. This is a big deal in evangelical circles because it often means condemnation by congregations which employ the music of these artists and the end of royalties. There was swift response to Beeching's announcement with some megachurches announcing she was now a musical persona non grata.

Beeching described the sense of being outside even when she was on the inside, feeling shame for years. She explained her decision to be public about her orientation this way:
 
“What Jesus taught was a radical message of welcome and inclusion and love. I feel certain God loves me just the way I am, and I have a huge sense of calling to communicate that to young people.I am not angry with the Church, even though it has been very difficult. The Church is still my family. Family do not always agree or see eye to eye. But family stick together, and I am committed to being part of the Church, working for change."

I commend Christianity Today, an evangelical publication, for simply reporting this as news, without any negativity or judgment. The article mentioned a number of other contemporary music artists who have opened up about their orientation in recent years.

When more liberal denominations such as the United Church first addressed issues of sexuality, including acceptance of gays and lesbians, they were roundly scorned. We paid a high price for seeing this as consistent with a gospel message of acceptance and inclusion. Twenty five years later we see a shift in perception in virtually every aspect of our society.

My hope is that more and more LGBTQ Christians, including evangelicals, will have the sense that they are loved by God, and by their faith communities. In several of the congregations I have served there have been individuals who left the congregations they loved in many respects because they knew they would be rejected for being honest.

Comments?

Voicing her opinion: Vicky Beeching on Sky News

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Firstly, some of the music that comes out of evangelical circles is very good and very moving ... I don't like all of it, or even a lot of it (I also don't like some of the old, "traditional" stuff mainline churches used to use) , but a few "hits" are really good and faith - building (of course, I am referring to "hits" that moved me, from about 20 years ago - I don't know and am not aware of many of the recent "favourites" - and the few I have heard are far too repetitive and mindless... I prefer genuine praise, simply stated, myself. )

Secondly, I am not surprised that this lady has been ousted ... fundamentalist circles tend to close the doors on anyone who does not follow their rules to the "T"... insisting that these folk need to be "fixed", and they do not always interpret the Scriptures (which are very important, and Holy, to me) with any sense of intellectual honesty,taking into consideration the culture out of which they came ... they are too easily caught up in the "I am in, you are out" mindset, based on "what the Bible says" ,with no knowledge or research into the actual circumstances or historical context ... and no attention to modern scientific data that would change their perception of others, and allow for much deeper understanding and acceptance.

I hope this young talented woman finds a good church home that will accept her as she is, and allow her to use her gifts for the glory of God.