Tuesday, October 07, 2014

A Prayer of Waiting




 Wait for The Lord. Be strong and let your heart take courage. Wait for The Lord.”
–Psalm 27:14

 
Last week I made the earliest appointment possible to have my vehicle undercoated, in preparation for winter. I wanted to get to work at a regular hour, and I did. I was reminded once again that men of a certain age seem to be earnest about tasks such as undercoating. I was one of several grey-hairs in the office, either waiting or setting up appointments. Fortunately they got me in earlier than my specified time and out rather quickly.
 
I don't like waiting, for anything. I hate drive-throughs, in part for environmental reasons. For events such as the Toronto International Film Festival I will endure a line-up, but I'm a mildly grumpy wait-er. We have waited dozens of times through the years for ferries to various destinations, but no amount of pacing will speed up the arrival or departure of the ship.
 
I waited for the birth of our three children, and one grandchild, always a bit fretful about what will occur during delivery, and then filled with relief and joy. I have kept vigil with families as a sick or elderly loved one lay dying, and I have done my best to be a "non-anxious presence" as we watched life ebb away. In those occasions we have prayed and asked God to be the source of calm and peace as the person moved from this life to the next.

There are many scripture passages which exhort us toward what we might call Godly waiting, an openness and willingness to live beyond impatience because the One who loves us and redeems us is at hand.
 
I like the little prayer below by Elisa Cottrell. It addresses so much in a matter of a few phrases.
 
A Prayer of Waiting 
by Elisa Cottrell
 
In my anxiety, reassure.
In my impatience, endure.
In my discomfort, soothe.
In my frailty, strengthen.
In my waiting… remain.
Amen.
 
What are your thoughts about waiting? Have you learned to wait with a sense of peace, or are you impatient? Is waiting good for the soul?  

Just click on this link to my lastest Groundling blog entry about Jessica Hetherington http://groundlingearthyheavenly.blogspot.ca/2014/10/testimony.html

Wait for the Lord NourishingPassions.com

 
 

 

2 comments:

roger said...

I guess it depends on the circumstances, but generally no, I'm not a good wait-er. If I can find something - anything - to keep me busy while waiting, then my blood pressure will probably be just fine.

I had always assumed you were very patient, David....being a Leaf fan. We're almost upon another season that will yet again test your patience.

Unknown said...

It depends on what one is waiting for, and how long one has been forced to wait, I guess ... I do run out of patience as well, at times... but, you are right, pacing does not help - and finding something to do while waiting does...