Thursday, November 19, 2015

Coren's Epiphany



I used to watch the Michael Coren Show on television and then I stopped. Coren was a Roman Catholic, a theological conservative but a smart and articulate guy. He would include interesting guests in his roundtable discussions of various topics, including those who didn't share his perspective. I stopped watching because of his nastiness toward the United Church and his sneering blanket statements about those in it. I was also shaken by his vicious attack of a guest (not UCC) who made what were admittedly gratuitously disparaging remarks about RC priests. Coren was totally unprofessional, letting his temper get the better of him.

When the province of Ontario and eventually the federal government took steps toward making same-gender marriage legal Coren spoke at an anti-gay marriage rally in the area where I was living at the time.

I have noticed in the past couple of years that Coren has changed his mind and his theological outlook. He is still orthodox in his Christianity, but now an Anglican, in part because he couldn't reconcile his changing views on homosexuality with the exclusionary doctrine of the Roman Catholic church. I've heard him reflect on this, and read his reasonable views on the sex-ed curriculum in Ontario, along with other topics. I appreciate the intelligence I admired originally, but it is the --dare I say it?-- more inclusive and kinder approach that impresses me.

Coren may still have little use for the United Church for all I know. He is actually considering the Anglican priesthood. Still, I appreciate someone who can and will change his mind upon reflection and prayer. There is an article in the latest United Church Observer which is well worth reading called The Conversion of Michael Coren. http://www.ucobserver.org/faith/2015/11/michael_coren/

Coren has a book coming out (so to speak) called Epiphany: A Christian's Change of Heart and Mind over Same-Gender Marriage. I imagine it will be worth reading. I think epiphany is a better description of Coren's change of heart than conversion, but why quibble.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will read it. Hadn't got to the Observer this month but will look for it now. To publicly change one's mind is a courageous act. Feel blessed that the UCC encourages congregations to be asking the hard questions that truly relate to living our faith.

Frank said...

I did read the article in the Observer and found it quite interesting. I've also read his book
Heresy: Ten Lies They Spread About Christianity. An interesting read. Despite being strident it did provoke some thought about not hiding our light under a bushel basket.