Friday, August 31, 2018

The Sinner Considered

 The Sinner TV Poster Image


Oh, sinner man, where you're gonna run to?
Oh, sinner man, where you're gonna run to?
Oh, sinner man, where you're gonna run to all on that day?

Run to the Lord, "Lord, won't You hide me?"
Run to the Lord, "Lord, won't You hide me?"
Run, run, "Lord, won't You hide me all on that day?"

Lord said, "Sinner man, you should've been a praying"
Lord said, "Sinner man, should've been a praying"
Lord said, "Sinner man, should've been a praying all on that day"
 
We have finished up the Netflix series called The Sinner and it was entertaining and well acted. Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman play the two key characters and they are compelling. This is a crime drama with plenty of twists and turns, as well as some reflection on the nature of sin. There is plenty of sex, drugs and rock n roll to be sure, along with a murder or two to solve.

 The reflection on toxic religion is a sub-theme, but an important one to the story. It comes across as sinister as the sins punishable by law. The repressive mother regularly gathers her two daughters around a honkin' big crucifix to prayerfully atone for her version of sinful acts, including hoarding a chocolate bar.
 Related image


It's hard to find any portrayal of organized religion that's positive these days, and perhaps for good reason. After the disturbing revelations about systemic sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and the cover-up by the hierarchy of the church we've now heard a report out of Australia which condemns the Roman Catholic church there. It's enough to shake anyone's faith.

I'm a firm believer in sin. I am still convinced that as Christians we recognize our shortcomings and self-deceptions and ask for forgiveness. This may be controlling personal behaviour or unwarranted suspicion of strangers or selfish behaviour that harms the environment.  It's important to say sorry and then change our foolish ways. It is the weaponization of sin which is so destructive.

There is a redemptive moment in The Sinner when the woman prisoner who leads the jailhouse prayer meeting encourages the Jessica Biel character to accept the grace of Christ. Mercifully, no one sings Amazing Grace at any point in the series. This prison lay-pastor figures that the God of shame and guilt isn't a god worth following. Amen.  

Anyone watched The Sinner? Are you a sinner? What about grace?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just got NETFLIX a couple of months ago and have watched a few series and a few single movies - NOT "Sinner" yet - but I will add it to my list

Re your direct queries - am I a sinner? yes, of course (none of us gets out of this world alive without being a sinner and committing sins at one time or another - or many times)

Do I believe in grace? Oh yes ! I am counting on God's grace !

I wish you were still with us, leading study groups, David ! I miss Ruth, too !

David Mundy said...

Thanks Judy. The Bridge St. folk who participated in study groups (yourself included) were/are thoughtful, engaged, and spiritual seekers. I was blessed to lead groups of Christian disciples in several congregations and they nudged me toward a deeper understanding of the gospel. This was one of the privileges of ministry.

Unknown said...

Luckily you didn't have any spoilers in your blog, David, because I'm half way through the series. It is disturbing on several levels, but as you said, it is well acted. No, I have never sinned. Well, okay, I have...no one's perfect, but I try my best....

David Mundy said...

A semi-sinner is better than no sinner at all? Hmm...something like that. I'm glad I restrained myself when it came to spilling the beans about The Sinner. Thanks, Unknown.