Sunday, October 27, 2019

Our Circle of Prayer


Image result for the pharisee and the tax collector contemporary art


Take time to be holy, speak oft with your Lord;

abide in him always, and feed on his word.
Make friends of God's children, help those who are weak,
forgetting in nothing his blessing to seek.


                                          Voices United 672 

This morning I bring into this circle of prayer 
(thanks for…concern for…personal need for…)

The promised deluge through the night and into the early morning unfolded as forecast. Did it ever rain hard for a while! I wondered whether I would be alone for an inaugural prayer gathering at our church home, Trenton United. Getting together to pray can be daunting for UCC folk. We prayer often in worship and lots of meetings commence with prayer, as long as the official prayer person, aka clergy, does the deed. What I discovered through the years is that United Church types do pray, but few feel comfortable with sharing in prayer, let alone offering prayers aloud. 

Today there were six of us at 9:45 and I was gentle as we got going. We committed to confidentiality, then I invited those in our circle to write down prayer requests with the simple format above. We all did so, I collected them, then voiced them on the spot. Some were for others dealing with illness and one was for an impending surgery. We prayed for the congregational board, including the chair, who was present, recognizing that this is a challenging time when it comes to discerning what it means to be faithful to Christ, including a presence in the broader community. We prayed that we could look outward when the temptation is to turn inward. 

We also prayed for the paid staff by name, including our pastor who happens to be our son Isaac. Then we concluded in unison with a prayer by Thomas Merton which I've always appreciated. Hey, our first meeting was small in numbers, and nothing spectacular happened. Then we went and prayed some more with the rest of the congregation. And we heard about an arrogant religious guy who uses prayer to "pump his own tires"  and a humble tax collector who approaches God in humility. 

Was it worth it to gather early with just a handful of us? It certainly was from my perspective and I'm prepared to invite folk into the circle of God's love through prayer a month down the road. Six was just the right number for today, because that was who God brought together. Maybe the circle will grow. 

Is your congregation a prayin' bunch? Do you feel awkward praying, even if you feel that it's important? Does your faith community provide opportunities for interactive prayer?  

THOMAS MERTON'S PRAYER


MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. 
I do not see the road ahead of me. 
I cannot know for certain where it will end. 
Nor do I really know myself, 
and the fact that I think that I am following your will 
does not mean that I am actually doing so. 
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. 
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. 
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. 
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road 
though I may know nothing about it. 
Therefore will I trust you always 
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. 
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, 
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. 

- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude" 


2 comments:

Judy said...

That is a beautiful prayer !

David Mundy said...

It speaks to me every time I return to it.