Thursday, November 07, 2019

The Saints & the Roses

Image

Photo: Carol Koomans

This past Sunday was our All Saints celebration and remembrance at Trenton United Church. Son Isaac was away from worship leadership so I pinch-hit in his absence. I asked if we might "remember the saints," those from the congregation who had died during the previous twelve months and others who are cherished by members. My mother and Isaac's grandmother, Margaret Mundy, was one of those from beyond the congregation we honoured. Today is the actual anniversary of her death, so this was close to home.

The first year I was minister at St. Andrew's UC in Halifax the worship committee let me know that it was a tradition to acknowledge the loss of members from the previous year on All Saints Sunday. It was a meaningful inclusion in the service which I carried with me to the next two congregations I served before retirement.

Protestants are a wordy bunch but most of us respond to the visual, whether it be in the sacraments, or banners in the sanctuary, or in this case, a rose to represent each person. We read the names of 14 members and loved ones and with each a red rose was placed in the vase. We concluded with a 15th white rose for all those who weren't named but were cherished. After the service families who had experienced loss took home their rose. A member in attendance told me that November 3rd was the anniversary of her mother's death, so I gave her the white rose. 

It was gratifying that the congregation responded so positively and perhaps it will become part of their tradition, one that I inherited from another congregation in another province. 

2 comments:

Judy said...

It has become a tradition at Bridge Street Church, also, and we carried on the rose tradition, adding the tolling of a bell (D4 - a deep tone, the same note as the big bell in the belfry, played by yours truly) after each name was read . I find it very moving, and a beautiful way to remember those who have been part of our lives, in a special, respectful way. it makes the meaning of "saint" more friendly, when you think of the influence and help that these folk have given along the way, because of their shared faith.

David Mundy said...

It's encouraging to know that Bridge St. continues with this annual practice and I like the bell idea. I agree, Judy, with your observation about the "friendlier" notion of sainthood.