Sunday, February 09, 2020

Wayfaring Stranger & War


I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
Traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger
In that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father
And all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm just going over Jordan
I'm just going over home
I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep
I'm going there to see my Mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
So, I'm just going over Jordan
I'm just going over home
I'm just going over Jordan
I'm just going over home.

Well, the Academy Awards have rolled around again and this year we've only seen three of the nine Best Picture nominees, with plans to see three more. We won't see Joker because it sounds too dark for our aged sensibilities. I really enjoyed Little Women even though I should supposedly have been indifferent to it because I'm a guy. 

I actually appreciated it more than 1917, which is a powerful war film, or perhaps an anti-war film. It is based on the World War I experience of the grandfather of director Sam Mendes. Two corporals are sent on a dangerous mission through enemy territory to deliver a message which could save the lives of hundreds of soldiers who have been led into a trap. It is a suspenseful, face-against-time story. 

Along the way one of those two enters a wood where a large number of soldiers on his side are resting, obviously battle-weary. He hears a solo singing voice, first faintly, then clearly as he draws nearer to the source. It is a soldier singing to his mates, a haunting piece which sounded to me like a folk song, or spiritual, which is was. It's called Poor Wayfaring Stranger and is actually an American folk song which might have been a century old in 1917. 

I went looking for Wayfaring Stranger after we saw the film, to no avail initially. It turns out I wasn't alone. The song wasn't on the original soundtrack and a petition was started online to release it, which has happened.

Strong film, lovely song. Have you seen 1917? Would you agree with those who say that it points out the futility of war, even as it honours everyday heroism? What about that song? Did it touch you as it did many others? 

Image result for 1917 poster movie


1 comment:

roger said...

Yes, I saw 1917 and thought it was excellent and agree it really shows the futility and tragedy of war. You felt like you were in the trenches with these guys.

That movie, and the movie They Shall Not Grow Old, are real reminders of how all wars, but especially WW1, were such a waste of life. In the latter movie, there was one clip(the entire movie was actual footage, colourized and sounds added), that showed what looked like a boy around 14 or 15 years old with his troops. I wondered if he lived to see his 16th birthday.

Back to the movie 1917, I too was moved during that scene of the soldier singing in the woods to his troops.