Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Believable Unbelievable

Unbelievable the Series - Home | Facebook

Everyone is on the search for binge-worthy series these days and we are trying to suss out the good and avoid the bad and ugly -- of which there is a lot. While we still rely on Netflix we've also found excellent series on Crave, Amazon Prime, CBC Gem, Britbox, Apple TV+. In some instances we subscribe for a month, glut ourselves, then cancel. No, we are not just couch pommes de terre, but we've needed more screen diversion these days.

I've been trying to recall whether I blogged about the Netflix series Unbelievable. We watched it a few months ago and were captivated by this drama based on the actual events leading to the arrest of a serial rapist by two determined women cops collaborating from different jurisdictions. 

Merritt Wever - IMDb

The acting is excellent and the story compelling. I was really intrigued by the portrayal of the one police woman  played with dignity by Merritt Wever. She is a family person and a Christian who goes to church regularly. What? No tortured past? Or screwed up relationships? When she is shown in church with her family they sing a song I recognized and the pastor seems like a decent guy. What's wrong with this picture? 

I'll be honest, I kept waiting to find our that there was something dark behind her determined and honest exterior -- a secret addiction? -- but she is consistent to the end. I would like to know more about the actual Detective Stacey Galbraith and her faith. She once offered :“I know He (God) gave me certain strengths, so I just have to use them. Even when it’s painful.”


I would certainly recommend Unbelievable, .if I haven't already!


3 comments:

roger said...

Thanks - always looking for good stuff on Netflix. Like you said, there seems to be an ample supply of trash. I'll check it out. In turn, I can recommend "Imposters" on Netflix. And one of my favourites is Black Mirror. There are five seasons of that one, but two of my favourite episodes are USS Callister and Be Right Back. I always have the same comment after watching Black Mirror: how do they come up with these ideas?!

Judy said...

Burden of Truth is also a good series - canadian, based in Manitoba .... true story.

David Mundy said...

Always interesting to see what others are viewing.