Friday, August 14, 2020

I'm Sinister, & I Can Live With That!

 Left Handers Day, August 13th - Official Site #lefthandersday

As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 

 There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, 

there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:27-28

I am sinister, and I'm proud of it. Sinister actually means "left", as in left-handed, and because there are fewer lefties than righties they were once regarded with suspicion, as minorities often are. Although only 10 percent of the population is left-handed, many famous and accomplished people have been lefties, including US presidents Obama, Bush II, and Clinton. Evidence suggests that the current president is neither left nor righ-handed.  

While I bat left, throw a ball and frisbee left, and shoot left with a hockey stick, I write with my right hand. Why? My old-school grade four teacher, who was actually very supportive in many ways, made me stay after school to "cure" my sinister penmanship through repetition. By the time my parents realized what was happening I had been converted. 

Image for post

This day is always a reminder that cultures tend to stigmatize and "other" those who are in the minority or different. We do so in many different spheres, including sexual orientation. We make up rigid rules and often make strong biblical claims, even when the evidence is scanty. 

As an example, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality, let alone condemned it. I remember the first time I heard a seminary professor make a comparison between what we then termed gay and lesbian orientation and left-handedness. I was offended as a sinister person that he would do so. Even though I didn't express my response verbally, this is not one of my prouder moments. 

Isn't it sinister to create barriers and bolster our sense of self by condemning and excluding others? Left Handed Day is as good an occasion as any to examine our biases and ask how they reflect the Good News of Jesus Christ. I hope that as a disciple of Jesus I'll be learning these lessons for a lifetime. 

International Left-Handers Day 2020: History, Date, Famous Lefties ...

No comments: