Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Sweating and Praising in Person

 


The YMCA here in Belleville reopened at the beginning of September but I was reluctant to return until there were reassurances that people from outside our region wouldn't be allowed to use the facilities. We have been fortunate to have very few cases of COVID-19 in Quinte/ Prince Edward County so I've been open to going back, with protocols and restrictions.

On October 15th, seven months to the day from my last visit to the gym I returned. March 15th was a Sunday, so I went for a work-out before heading to church. Little did I know that these visits would be my last for a long time, thanks to the pandemic.

As for church, we resumed in-person worship at Trenton United six weeks ago now, and this Sunday will be my second during that period to preside at a service because of Rev. Isaac's absence. 

I realize that there are similarities between the experiences. Both the gym and sanctuary are familiar places with routines which I had come to take for granted in some respects. Walking through the doors was mostly familiar, yet very different. There are protocols in place to ensure everyone's safety with masks and hand sanitizer and distancing expected from everyone. In both settings there are familiar faces (although somewhat obscured by the masks) and it's really good to see everyone. A fair number of us are, um, mature. At the same time attendance is lower and there isn't quite the same feel to the experience. 

I figure it's up to each person to judge their level of safety and well-being about being back in a setting with others. Why go places which are intended for health in body, mind, and spirit if the outcome is anxiety? And Trenton UC is broadcasting the services as well as offering the in-person experience. 

As a healthy, and relatively young senior citizen (don't call me an oxymoron!) I'm grateful for the opportunity to resume these important activities. I've discovered that the thought of going back was the greater psychological barrier than actually walking through the doors. 

A significant difference is that I want those who are not part of the regular flock in our congregation to join us That's an essential aspect of sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ. 

 Who knows, another shutdown may be on the way, but for now I thank God that I'm free to sweat and praise with others! 





2 comments:

roger said...

Yes, that was a tough six months away from the gym. The Cobourg Y reopened late August and I was one of the first through the doors. Working out at home just didn't offer the same motivation, not to mention the equipment.

Everyone seems to be taking the protocols seriously at the gym, wiping down equipment and wearing masks when transitioning between equipment. I probably exceed recommendations. Forget the two metre distancing; if someone gets within five metres, I just move to another, quieter part of the gym.

All this to say that this pandemic is definitely a challenge to one's mental health, and you can't keep everything closed up. I support reopening businesses, gyms, etc while ensuring all measures are in place. I've noticed my own mood elevate since returning to the gym.

David Mundy said...

I had a similar experience during those months, Roger. As COVID numbers rise in Ontario, more regions may enter into lock-downs similar to what we experienced in the Spring. We all want to be healthy in body, mind, and spirit, so heading to church or the gym helps us to find that balance. We'll need to accept what is best for society as a whole, but in the meantime we'll lift and pray.