Sunday, December 13, 2020

Joy! Are You Out There Joy?


Joy comes with the dawn; joy comes with the morning sun;

joy springs from the tomb and scatters the night with her song,

joy comes with the dawn.

1 Weeping may come; weeping may come in the night,

when dark shadows cloud our sight.  R

2 Sorrow will turn, sorrow will turn into song,

and God's laughter make us strong.  R

3 We will rejoice, we will rejoice, and give praise,

to the One who brings us grace.  R

So, how is the joy holding up? I know, even asking about joy may seem callous these days. 

The Christian season of Advent is meant to patiently address the darkness before entering into the glorious light of Christ's first and second comings. This is a tough sell, as we've grown almost pathologically impatient as a society, and even within our church communities. 

This year is weirder than weird, and in those places where in-person worship is allowed the question is, do we include some Christmas in Advent, with the spectre of shutdown haunting every week? 

Today we get a break, with the Advent Sunday of Joy and the rose candle as relief from the blue. Where is the joy, though, in this confounding year? 

There is an op-ed piece in the New York Times this weekend about what the author describes as the " hidden 4th wave" of COVID-19,  which is the steady rise in mental health issues for so many. The pandemic isn't showing signs of abating, and even though there is vaccine hope on the horizon this is still months away. Living in the Northern Hemisphere means we are also contending with shortened daylight hours, which drags a lot of us down in the best of years.  As I talk to clergy it's apparent that they are doing their best to be pastoral with those who are slipping into despair. It's damn hard for these pastors as well, as they attempt to discern the trajectory for their flocks when there really are no certainties. 

Despite all this, I want there to be joy in my heart and mind this morning, and to somehow find it in each day. As a child of the Creator I venture outside whenever possible, and even in these bleaker days there are signs and wonders. The experience of worship can't be what I once took for granted, but I can be grateful for the community of Christ, virtual and otherwise. Last Sunday we were sitting behind a young mom whose infant was checking us out with curiosity, masks and all. I delight in the laughter and exuberance of grandchildren, which shines through, even on FaceTime.

Joy often emerges in the uncertainties, and it would be a sin not to celebrate each occasion. And I want to be intentional about supporting those who are feeling too overwhelmed to experience joy these days. I'm inclined to think of joy as spontaneous, and never really considered it as a spiritual discipline, but  surely this is the season for both. 

We had a joking exchange with one of my sisters-in-law (a faithful reader) about joy, after she sent us the photo below. We agreed with while we may not be able to sing for joy in church, we can at least jump. On second thought, I'm not sure my knees agree!





2 comments:

Judy said...

Love that picture - ha ha ! I find that doing little things to bring a bit of joy to others helps during this season ... I have been giving small packages of baked goodies to neighbours , especially those who are alone, along with a cheery Christmas card - we need to celebrate Christmas , in spite of COVID (taking all the necessary precautions, of course!) And, seeing facebook pictures of my three great grandkids (whom I can visit in person, but I choose not to do tat too often) gives me great joy! I am also posting photos of my house decorations , since I cannot host gatherings - and other folk on facebook have started to do that, too. THAT is also an activity that brings joy.

David Mundy said...

These are all excellent ideas and actions Judy. I hope there are a lot more like you out there!