Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Stll Willing to Welcome the Stranger?

 


Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 

for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me...

                                                    Matthew 25:34-35

This morning I happened to hear the CBC Radio report by Margaret Evans for The Current on migrants, asylum seekers in Greece. Over time Greece has tightened access to the country with barriers and sea patrols in an attempt to control the deluge of desparate migrants from past years. Those who do arrive go to detention camps and many are deported almost as they arrive. The European Union is providing support for these camps but nearly all nations are unwilling to take refugees who arrive this way and they are concerned that the situation on Afghanistan will create a new wave.

I listened today because I was intrigued after finishing What Strange Paradise by Omar El Akkad yesterday. The novel has been nominated for the Giller Prize and El Akkad is an excellent writer but I almost put it aside after the first few pages. I felt the weight of the subject matter, which is migration, focussed on the plight of a nine-year-old Syrina boy named Amir who survives a perilous crossing to what is certainly Greece, although I can't recall the country being named. He is washed ashore but survives and a teen girl harbours and helps him even though his presence and her assistance are illegal.

Of course his unconscious form on the beach evokes memories of  the photos of the lifeles body of Alan Kurdi, a heart-wrenching sight which motivated Canadians to welcome thousands of Syrian refugees. Many communities of faith responded, including the local coalition which brought 23 members of one extended family to our town. The practical compassion of so many for these sponsorships will continue to bes one of the most profound memories of my decades in ministry.

What Strange Paradise is a beautifully written book and, in the end, quite suspenseful. I'm glad I didn't abandon it and I'm grateful for the reminder of the human stories behind the grim statistics. I hope the government of Canada and Canadians have not lost their desire to a hospitable nation. While we may not engage in community sponsorships to the same extent there will still be opportunities to welcome the stranger, as Jesus directs us do. 


                                                                                Alan Kurdi


 

No comments: