Thursday, April 07, 2022

Winnie the Pooh & Advent Easter?

 

We were in Toronto recently to help our younger daughter pack for a move. She pulled out the simple wooden  Advent Calendar which was a home-made present from a parishioner decades ago. For some reason she had wanted to have it, and then she didn't. When we used in it our family it was related to -- wait for it -- the Christian season of Advent during which we anticipate Christmas and the coming of the Christ. Ya, they wanted the every-third-day treat they received, but we did stay on theme. 

As some of you know, I have been puzzled and bemused by the profusion of so-called Advent Calendars which are really just opportunities to sell stuff, often very expensive stuff. I'm confident that the vast majority of purchasers don't have a clue about the meaning of Advent.

Enter the Easter Advent Calendar -- I kid you not. Not LENTEN Calendars, but ADVENT Calendars. Centuries ago Advent was longer than four weeks, beginning in mid-November, and much like Lent in duration and contemplative tone. The liturgical colour was the same purple rather than blue. For years I was grateful that the commercialization of Advent and Christmas hadn't infected Lent and Easter but that ship has now sailed. 

As you can see above, the first Easter Advent Calendar I came across featured Winnie the Pooh, a familiar Easter character. Does Winnie walk in circles in search of the empty tomb instead of a Woozle or a Heffalump? I'll never know. I will continue to be "old school" (because I'm old) and engage in the solemnity and celebration of Lent and Easter. 



1 comment:

Judy said...

I am with you, David - I recently saw a wooden "Easter nativity scene", on facebook - happily, someone else saw the error and corrected the person who posted it (an evangelical Christian)...sigh!