Monday, May 09, 2022

I Feel the Winds of God Today

 


1 I feel the winds of God today; today my sail I lift,

though heavy oft with drenching spray and torn with many a rift;

if hope but light the water's crest, and Christ my bark will use,

I'll seek the seas at his behest, and brave another cruise.

                                             Voices United 625

I have ambivalent feelings about stained glass windows. The best are artistic marvels in many respects and the windows of Canterbury and Notre Dame cathedrals, as examples, are awe-inspiring. Many were created to teach biblical stories to worshippers who were not literate. I've stood in places of worship figuring out which biblical passages were represented in window. 

I appreciate contemporary stained glass as well in sanctuaries such as Coventry cathedral, a space created after the historical structure was destroyed by bombing during WWII. At the same time I have resisted the pressure in congregations to fundraise for windows when the view through clear glass surpassed anything which could replace it. And honestly, many stained glass windows are mediocre art. 

I came across these images of a recently installed window in Wivenhoe, which I figure is a small coastal town in Great Britain. The tweet was by Andy Brooke, a visual artist who seems to be vital to the project, and the design is by James Dodd. My apologies to both that I don't know who they are, and I'm not even sure of the setting for the installation. Is this a worship space? The dove above the vessel suggests the Holy Spirit and the boat was a Christian symbol before the cross. But I'm speculating because there is no further information included with the tweets. 

This wonderful window brings to mind stories from the gospels, including the recent lectionary passage in John about Jesus' encounter with some of his disciples after his death and resurrection. One of my favourite hymns is I Feel The Winds of God Today, which I'm humming as I write. 

2 It is the wind of God that dries my vain regretful tears,

until with braver thoughts shall rise the purer, brighter years;

if cast on shores of selfish ease or pleasure I should be,

O let me feel your freshening breeze, and I'll put back to sea.


3 If ever I forget your love and how that love was shown,

lift high the blood-red flag above; it bears your name alone.

Great pilot of my onward way, you will not let me drift.

I feel the winds of God today; today my sail I lift.





1 comment:

kb said...

Each year (before the pandemic) we have had a 3-day reunion at the girls' camp I attended. Of course, Sunday morning is outdoor chapel by the lake. We always sing Mary Edgar's "God Who Tochest Earth with Beauty"; she was the founding director of another girls' camp not far away. And ALWAYS "I Feel the Winds of God Today." So meaningful in that setting.

Our director, long since passed, had a goal of fostering the spiritual side of nature through our time at camp along with the encouragement of independence and confidence gained through the development of outdoor skills. At our reunions, we always honour her memory with gratitude. KB