Sunday, October 23, 2022

COVID & Humilty, Kindness, & Community

 

We'll attend worship in Kingston this morning, about an hour away. A long-time friend is finishing up interim ministry in a United Church congregation and this will also be an opportunity to connect with family. We aren't sure of the mask policy but we'll go prepared to wear ours. We still do in most congregate settings, even though we are now very much in the minority. Even though we've both been vaccinated 5 times now I wear a mask at the gym, as I always have, and most other public places. I wear one into church even though I often doff it once we're seated, usually well away from others.

We're hearing that COVID cases are on the rise once again and that new variants have emerged. Wishful thinking or indifference or COVID fatigue ain't gonna make this go away. I like the poster, above, because it sums up how I feel as a respectful citizen and as a Christian. 

As we listen to the inquiry into the use of the Emergency Act in Canada earlier this year I am reminded that it was precipitated by arrogance, unkindness, and selfishness on the part of protesters, some of whom claimed to be Christians. 

I can't change what others do, but I can make decisions which I hope are for the greater good. 

3 comments:

Judy said...

Vaccines do not protect us from the disease 100% - they only lessen the symptoms.... Masks are essential !

David Mundy said...

Yesterday we got our flu shot, which means 3 flu and 5 COVID vaccines since the pandemic began. Even though we are human pin cushions we'll still wear our masks. Thanks Judy.

Judy said...

Yes, I have 5 Covid shots and just got my high test seniors' flu shot - a pneumonia vaccine soon, and then a Shingles booster ! Coming to an arm near me !