Thursday, November 10, 2022

Sounds a Lot Like Advent


1 All earth is waiting to see the Promised One,

and open furrows await the seed of God. 

All the world, bound and struggling, seeks true liberty; 

it cries out for justice and searches for the truth

                                               Voice United #5

This past Sunday our pastor, son Isaac, spoke about the "hurry up and wait" aspect of the Advent season in the liturgical year (my phrase, not his). Trenton is a military town and he noted that his kids, our two grandchildren, attend a school on the base and most of the families are part of the armed forces. There is a period in every year when these households wait and watch for their new postings, sometimes dreaded, sometimes welcomed. In our congregation some lovely young families have been around for a couple of years and then off they go to another part of the country. These departures are tough. 

Advent is that "not yet", in-between time of awaiting the coming of the newborn child of Bethlehem as well as the anticipation of the mysterious return of the Risen Christ. What does that time look like and sound like in the weeks that blare "Christmas! Christmas! Christmas" for months in advance? We have a neighbour whose yard is alread adorned with several of those hideous plastic figures because nothing says Christmas like an inflatable Minnie Mouse. How did this happen? 

Isaac mentioned that in an earlier time Advent was six or seven weeks in length, rather than four, and in some traditions Advent is already underway following All Saints and Souls.  On our trip home Ruth commented that she had already been wondering how we might observe a more thoughtful and prayerful Advent this year and when that might begin.

I'm trying to figure out how I might be a more attentive listener during Advent both figuratively and literally. How can I be more intentional in my prayer life, with perhaps a focus on Reverence, Attention, and Praise. And can I carry this with me into the natural world as I look and listen? I write in my personal journal daily but I may keep a sensory journal during this liturgical time, including the sounds around us. 

While Advent begins on November 27th on our calendar, we might begin our observance earlier. Here is a link to the Advent Project, which promotes an Advent similiar in length to Lent. http://www.theadventproject.org/

I promise you that if you drive onto our court the flaccid, lurid piles of plastic on one lawn are not ours, although it is tempting to put up the Christmas lights on one of these balmy days!

1 comment:

Judy said...

I have ordered this book, and I promise there will be no lurid blow-up plastic ornamentation at my home ! Only twinkle lights in the window, and fresh Christmas planters outside (purchased from the good folk at St. Matthew's United)