Monday, June 05, 2023

A Morning Cycle And Neighbours


                                                                         Kingston Encampment

If we claim to love our neighbour
while the hungry queue for food,
are we prey to self deception?
Is perception quite so crude?
If we sit beside our neighbours,
begging for the things they need,
we might share their own injustice
in a world that thrives on greed.

If we punish those with nothing,
blaming them for where they stand,
is this love of friend or neighbour,
do we still not understand?
Love of neighbour is not easy,
cuts us till we feel the pain,
sharing hurt that they are feeling
till they find new life again.


Words: Andrew Pratt Metre 87.87.D

We feel blessed to live in a city which has an extensive waterfront trail along the Bay of Quinte and  another up the Moira River, At this time of the year we can cycle them and I did this morning, first along the bay and then up the river, almost to Hwy 401. I passed two occupied osprey nests, four blue herons, and turtles. This is also the season for ducklings, goslings and cygnets, and I saw them all. Aren't these all neighbours? 

As I made my way along the river I also made my way past humans, probably ten to a dozen who are "sleeping rough" in nooks and crannies. There may have been more down embankments or behind bridges. I threaded my way between one sleeper and his/her gear and came close to another who was virtually invisible beneath one of the overpasses. There were others walking the trail who looked as though they had been sleeping out. Aren't they neighbours? 

You may have noticed that a number of cities across the country are moving towards evictions of those living in encampments or situations similar to the ones I just described. Some of those municipalities have postponed the evictions several times, partly because of protests from advocates for the marginalized but also because they are aware that these folk have no access to shelters or affordable housing. This is a crisis in Canada which isn't visible to most of us.A few days ago neighbouring Kingston gave notice of seeking a court injunction to close a park encampment.

I feel strongly that the unhoused should not be harassed when they are simply trying to survive in often desparate circumstances. I'm disgusted by politicians such as Pierre Poilievre who attempt to score political points by using "third world country" language to describe encampments. 

I also feel that people who live in urban environments should have access to public green spaces and do so without fear. And shouldn't we all benefit from the sights and sounds of the natural world? There needs to be more public parks and trails. 

 While I appreciate the important work of the fierce advocates for the marginalized I notice that a lot of them are young and mobile and probably have limited concerns for their safety in public places. I know older people who are uncomfortable in certain park settings or along sections of our trail when there are multiple unhoused folk gathered. While I'm inclined to say hello and nearly always get a response, usually cheerful, I get the concerns. 

As I mulled all of this over I sat down to my computer close to my Homeless Jesus sculpture, a gift from the Canadian artist, Timothy Schmalz. Sometimes I just don't see it anymore, even though it's within arms length of my computer chair, but my familiarity with it and with the growing number of unhoused people in our communities aren't good enough, are they? This is no time for "compassion fatigue" or whatever phrase we may employ when human dignity and lives at stake. 

Love of neighbour sets us squarely

in the place where they now sit,
till the richness God has given
builds a pearl around the grit;
till each person shares the comfort
of the love of which we preach,
till we live as fact the Gospel:
none can be beyond love's reach.


Words: Andrew Pratt Metre 87.87.D



2 comments:

Judy said...

There does not seem to be any easy answer to the problem of homelessness. Until we resolve the housing crisis (which isn't going to happen any time soon, given the current political lack of will - the powers that be still cater to the very rich in society... though I do commend our local politicians for starting to act in a positive way) we definitely should assign some public park spaces to those who wish to set up camp in a clean, natural environment. Of course, monitoring for peaceful behaviour, and cleaning staff, will be required. These folks did not develop their problems overnight, and they won't be "fixed" overnight, even with shelter and housing, without long term counselling and aid. Mental health and addiction services need to be available readily. I hope the new, expanded facility in the former banquet Centre will address these issues .

David Mundy said...

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully, Judy. I agree with what you offer here and hope there is the will to address a complex reality which only seems to be growing in our society.