Wednesday, September 02, 2026

You are the Apple of My Eye...Really!

 


I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
    incline your ear to me; hear my words.

Wondrously show your steadfast love,

    O savior of those who seek refuge
    from their adversaries at your right hand.
 

Guard me as the apple of the eye;
    hide me in the shadow of your wings,
 from the wicked who despoil me...

Psalm 17: 6-8 NRSVue 

I was reading the psalm for today, Psalm 17, and came upon a phrase that I realized was not uncommon in the days of my youth but seems to have disappeared from regular usage. It is "you are the apple of my eye" a curious term of affection.

It is found in at least five passages in the King James Version Hebrew scriptures but as I did some admittedly quick research I discovered that no one seems to know what it really means other that it refers to God's affection and care for us when we are beset by hostile humans. That is comforting news and Good News. 

 Somehow this phrase has weathered the passage of time and still appears in the New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition, and  I like that. Shakespeare, a KJV contemporary, employed it as well. 


There are some examples of the phrase out there other than scripture even if we don't use it often anymore. Stevie Wonder included it in "You are the Sunshine of My Life" although that hit song is now more than half an century old!

You are the sunshine of my life
That's why I'll always be around
You are the apple of my eye
Forever you'll stay in my heart

And then there is a 2024 Korean romance film with this name. How did that happen?

Of course, dear readers, you are the apple of my eye for reading these musings, even if you roll your eyes as you do so. 





No comments: