Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Labyrinth of Faith



I was about to leave the church late yesterday afternoon when I heard a "hi David" at my door. A congregational family was in the building and the nine-year-old daughter stopped by to see me.

She had a mission. She wanted to follow the small ceramic labyrinth on my coffee table. On another occasion she had been in my study and was intrigued by the labyrinth, asking me to explain it. Now she was back for the experience. Although I was about to go out the door for supper, I invited her in. She carefully made her way to the centre with the wooden stylus. Then she announced she was going to trace her way back out again!

Patience. It is important to be a patient companion on the spiritual journey. Another child, a bright boy with concentration issues, also likes this labyrinth. He has followed it several times and is surprisingly calm and focussed as he makes his way along the path.

The journey of faith begins early and continues for a lifetime.

No comments: