Wednesday, January 24, 2007

We Are Not Alone

There are times when I visit elderly members where the expression on their faces says "I'm so glad you've come!" With others it is "Oh, it's you again. " In one congregation there was a woman who was so overwhelmingly negative in every conversation that I felt like arm wrestling the pastoral care staff member as to who would visit her next. She was so critical of her doctor, lawyer, building superintendent that we just knew we would be the target once we left!

The little piece below came to me from an online devotional and it made me laugh.

For 25 years, part of my pastoral ministry has been to hold services in a nursing home. One of the "regulars" has her television remote control attached to the arm of her wheelchair. When my attempts at being humorous fall flat, this dear lady aims the control at me and threatens to turn me off.One day, as she played her little joke, I laughed and told her she couldn't turn me off. She smiled and replied, "I'm not trying to turn you off. I'm trying to get a different channel."

-- Wayne McKay in Christian Reader, "Lite Fare"

No comments: