Monday, November 19, 2007

Bangladeshis and Samaritans


This morning I'm wondering if I am a racist. Not a hood-wearing, racial slur type of racist. That sort of activity is abhorrent to me and I'm reasonably sure that it would be for any readers of this blog.


I'm talking about the passive racism that allows me to hear about the deaths of 2,300 Bangladeshis and talk about 10,000 or more without much of a visceral response. If I heard that 10,000 Canadians had died in a natural disaster or any other form of calamity I would immediately respond in some way.

When I think back a couple of years I realize that we did make a contribution to disaster relief for the victims of the tsunami in Southeast Asia. When I read Stephen Lewis' book about AIDS in Africa called Race Against Time I wept. But I didn't finish the book. It was easier to put it down. When I went to see the film Hotel Rwanda I was moved to tears as well. Just so you know -- I rarely "tear up" but this story of genocide in Rwanda touched me deeply as well.


But there is no points system for feeling badly about the plight of others. I have to admit that it is tempting to hurry on past some of these stories. A little voice tells me that life is not as valuable in these cultures and they don't feel the pain of loss the way we do. If I'm honest I know that these are lies of convenience to assuage my conscience.


Jesus told a story about a man who did not hurry on by when he saw someone in distress, lying in the ditch. He stopped, responded with compassion, went the distance. In a time when the planet is our neighbourhood the opportunity to be Good Samaritans is always there. I'm not going to beat up on myself, but I'm not going to just pass by either.

4 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

I think that is beyond our comprehension. At some point we 'shut down' out of sheer - I can't think of the correct word - desperation? survival? sadness? frustration? Any, or all, of the above I suppose. I remember being in Ottawa one lovely spring afternoon. Walking along the street I was approached by someone who wanted to show me pictures of genocoide going on somewhere in the world. I put my hand up and said "I'm not interested"...I will never forget the look on their face. I will never forget that day.

David Mundy said...

I would agree, Lynn, that it is a matter of comprehension and the capacity or incapacity to absorb the pain of others. We are bombarded with information without much accompanying wisdom.

Stacey said...

Everytime I hear a telethon on the radio, receive a request for donation in the mail then tear it up, or pass a peddlar on the street without handing him money... I feel terrible. I spend so much of my life feeling guilty for what I don't do to help others. You can get lost in feeling ashamed and guilty.

Instead, for every time we show compassion to others with our love, our time, our money or our prayers, we need to give thanks for having that opportunity. Our recognition of our own good fortune is a beautiful reminder that we can always do more tomorrow and pay it forward.

How could I judge you for impassivity, when you expressed the very feelings that I myself have? I feel that there is only shame in feeling nothing at all.

David Mundy said...

Well said Stacey. We can't do everything or respond to every situation in a financial way. We can make sure that the emotional and spiritual scar tissue doesn't build up until we are no longer touched by the pain of others. And we can give thanks for the ways in which we do respond.