Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Surprise


I didn't think that the current Roman Catholic pope could come up with much that would please me after some recent statements but I was pleasantly surprised when he included care for the planet in his Christmas message. I personally believe that when Jesus said "God so loved the world" he meant it. Pope Benedict was right when he said that greed in the West was undermining the balance of God's creation.

The Christmas messages of the popes nearly always call for an end to conflict and the disparities between rich and poor. These themes of justice are important reminders of biblical themes that are timeless. I hope that we will listen in 2008 in ways that will reverse the trends of the later part of the twentieth century and the beginning of the twenty first.

Again, Merry Christmas and Christ's joy.

No comments: