Monday, December 10, 2007

Why?


I will send an email to my roommate at Ghost Ranch and hope for the best. Some of you will recall my description of Peter as a great guy who attends one of the evangelical meagachurches in Colorado. The same church where a gunman opened fire yesterday, killing one person and injuring others before an armed guard (at a church?) shot him. I want Peter and his wife and daughter to be safe, but I will wait to find out
Strangely, this is not the first time I have had a personal connection with such a violent act. A few years ago my aunt in Texas was at bible study at her church when a gunman walked into another part of the complex and killed several young people.Places of worship are no longer sanctuaries from violence.

What is happening in the United States? Why has this "gun culture" become so acceptable in a nation which is overt in its religious expression. I checked the Denver Post website to get more details on the shootings and a number of people commented online. One person asked why America seems obsessed with the threat of foreign terrorism when its own young people are gunning down innocent victims in malls and churches and schools. Good question.

I know that Peter is a person of prayer and he will invite others to pray for both the victims and perpetrator of this crime. I will, but I still don't get it.

No comments: