Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent Surprises

Vincent Van Gogh

One afternoon earlier this week I made several visits to seniors in the congregation living with major health problems. I heard about cancer, chronic pain, and surgery in three households where the sufferers were amazingly stoic about it all. The fourth household was a little different.

I had to brace myself for the visit because the woman of the house tends to be negative -- unrelentingly negative. Her husband, who is not a member here, is consistently rude. During this visit he told me that our Commun-I-Care callers and others (me!) shouldn't "stick our noses in other people's business." Nice. I try to tell myself that Jesus loves the unlovely and I should too, but there are times when the self-talk wears thin.

As you might imagine, I strategized for a hasty exit. At a seemly moment I proposed prayer, to which they both nodded assent. I prayed for them both, because together they have a host of genuine health concerns.

When I finished and opened my eyes I was surprised to see that this crusty old guy who uses oxygen to breathe was on his knees with hands clasped. Both of them headed for the tissue box and dabbed their eyes. As I left he shook my hand and thanked me profusely for coming.

There are times when the Spirit of God gets through where I can't as an individual. I was tempted to leave without praying because they weren't my idea of good candidates. What do I know!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Isn't it true...I often find myself saying,"What do I know?" after a preconceived perception (made by my self- acclaimed, brilliant character judgement--ho-ho)is shattered. As the years pass I realize that I truly have no idea what is going on in other people's lives that can play into their seeming "unlovley-ness"....What a truly lovely image of this aged,man on his knees, as a pure and innocent child, praying to God. Thank you for sharing.