Friday, February 20, 2009

Deadly Differences


Men and women think differently and act differently, don't they? Men are from Mars and women are from Venus, aren't they? The debate over whether men and women have different characteristics and behaviour will probably go on as long as our species exists.

The Roman Catholic church has entered the fray by declaring that women and men sin differently as well. The church identified seven deadly sins centuries ago. Traditionally, the seven deadly sins were considered: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed and sloth. Now it is saying that the sexes have different favourites, if we can call them that! A Catholic survey found that the most common sin for women was pride, while for men, the urge for food was only surpassed by the urge for sex.

The Top Sins for Men 1. Lust 2. Gluttony3. Sloth 4. Anger 5. Pride
The Top Sins for Women 1. Pride 2. Envy 3. Anger 4. Lust 5. Sloth

Many churches are reluctant to talk about sin at all these days, considering it to be too negative. But we haven't given up on the theological concept that we undermine our relationship with God and others by actions and attitudes which are self-centred and destructive.

What do you think? Are the ways in which we sin really that different between the sexes? Both men and women read this blog, although women do most of the responding. It would be good to hear from both.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I wasn't surprised to see pride at the top of the female list, but maybe a bit surprised to see it at the bottom of the male list. Quite surprised not to see greed on either of the top 5 given society's passion for aquiring stuff. I found myself looking up "sloth" in my Webster's dictionary as it always draws to mind lethargic, upside down animals at the zoo. I hadn't thought it beyond general laziness but this dictionary offers it up as spiritual apathy. Seems most of the other sins could be "corrected/improved" by a focus on this one.

David Mundy said...

I hope folk read your comment, Laura, because it is insightful. Sloth is also known as acedie, or, as you point out, spiritual listlessness or apathy. It is possible to be so busy that we are "slothful" spiritually, which seems counter-intuitive. What we tend to label generally as depression may be acedie. There is a recent book by excellent writer, Kathleen Norris called Acedie and Me.

Thanks also to reader Anne who passed on through an email that a professor in her seminary days commented that pride tends not to a women's sin because our culture traditionally encourages women to downplay their strengths and accomplishments.

Has the subject scared off others? I wasn't expecting "true confessions!"

bim said...

I agree with the list.Women are more likely to commit sins of pride,envy and anger but lust,gluttony and sloth are used mostly by men..I just came back from Cuba so I guess I committed lust and gluttony - ate - drank too much and lots of beautiful sights on the beach. My question is when does it become a sin? I thought a little "eye candy" is okay as long as you don't taste it! If not forgive me Lord I have sinned..

David Mundy said...

I too returned recently from Cuba and I too appreciated that the scenery extended beyond palm trees and sunrises. I tried to keep in mind that Jesus said "if your eye causes you to lust pluck it out!"

I will be in church tomorrow with both eyes on the congregation.

Deborah Laforet said...

I was shocked to see pride as #1 for women. I have read so many feminist writings about pride being a sin for men, but not for women. That women's sin would be self-abasement and that pride is often needed. Yes, women tend to be more obsessed with their looks, but this usually comes from insecurities about looks, not pride and confidence.