Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stone-throwers and Freedom


The Woman Taken in Adultery -- Rembrandt

One of my favourite New Testament stories is found only in John's gospel and is considered an "iffy" later addition by many scholars. In some versions of the bible it is in brackets to remind us that it is questionable. I refuse to vote it off the island. It is the story of the adulterous woman who is hauled into the public square to be stoned by a surly group of religious men. You probably know the one I mean: Jesus tells them that the one without sin can cast the first rock of judgement and they simply melt away. (John 8) Why wasn't the guy who was messing around the subject of condemnation? Of course, women were held to a different standard. Jesus was not a twenty-first century feminist, but there are plenty of stories in the gospels where he addresses women as persons of worth, loved by God.

Yesterday we saw the photos and film footage from Afghanistan where brave women marched in the streets to protest laws as backward and brutal as those from two thousand years ago when it comes to marriage. It's been noted that Afghani women are amongst the most vulnerable in the world in terms of the laws of the land. We have heard that women leaders, including teachers, continue to be gunned down by the Taliban.
Three or four hundred women marched and more than a thousand jeering, stone-throwing men were restrained by police. It is not only outrageous, but this is perpetrated in God's name.

According to her family the young Canadian soldier who died in Afghanistan a couple of days ago was there because she believed in freedom for the women and children of that country. Let's pray that her sacrifice was not in vain, that change continues to happen, and equality can be achieved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There have been times in my life, and I am sure in every woman's life, when I have felt duped into believing that any progress has been made in regards to how woman are seen. Certainly in our part of the world woman have full rights, but there remains an undertone of discrimation in our own society still being passed down to the next generation.The misconceptions regarding women that my own teens have articulated really sadens me. They have learned this somewhere, and all the while I thought I was doing a good job as mother. It was like an ambush in the dark, it hit me so hard. It's voice may not be as strong as it once was, but the fact that it continues to exist worries me. What I feel is that, although it is publiclly shunned, yet still exists, it has the power of stealth behind it. A woman soldier is progress for sure, but the two photo have an eery sameness, that depresses me.

Laura said...

As per yesterdays comments...no you aren't "talking" to yourself (although, I sometimes find it the best audience)...we are listening and thinking...sometimes the issues so important and complex,that words don't come easily or quickly, though. Thanks for challenging us and sharing your wisdom.
As a mom of young daughters, I have yet to experience the current realities "out there" but am hopeful their youthful optimism isn't dashed by such backward thinking. The couragious women, who risk their lives in protesting this archaic thinking or serving their countries to make a difference are the modern day heroes in my book. I have trouble fathoming? their courage from my safe perch...it is awe inspiring.

David Mundy said...

Thanks to both of you, a mother of teenagers, and a mother of young girls, at least one of which is approaching the teens.

When singer Rihanna was assaulted by Chris Brown (I suppose I should say allegedly) a poll was taken seeking a response to the physical violence. One group wondered if Rihanna had brought the assault on herself. And who was in this group? Teenaged girls. Education is still needed, even in this society that upholds equality.

I do hear regularly that folk are reading but reluctant to respond. I understand, but am always glad to hear from readers.