Sunday, November 01, 2009

What Do They Do, Anyway?

Do you ever wonder what a minister does in the course of a week? The "six days of the week invisible, one day of the week incomprehensible" quip doesn't sit well with clergy, but how does anyone really know what is happening?

I was thinking about this past week, which felt like a holiday because I had no evening commitments. Of course there was worship last Sunday and hours of preparation for this week's service. I was at the Oshawa hospital once to see someone who underwent surgery, and Bowmanville hospital twice because of follow-up with people who are quite ill.

I attended a weekly meeting with colleagues to look at the lectionary scripture passages. Then there was bible study prep and the morning study itself. I'm also getting ready for an evening study beginning next week and writing a message for an evening covenanting service for a colleague mid-November.

I spent time with a member who is going through a sad break-up, and an afternoon visiting at Wilmot Creek, the nearby seniors' community. I got together with a couple putting the final touches on their wedding ceremony a week down the road.

Everyday I respond to emails, some of them mundane, but often involving pastoral situations. And there is the ton of "stuff," adminastrivia, which is the reality of most jobs. We had a staff meeting earlier in the week as well, a necessary part of communication. I also had individual conversations with virtually every staff member about their particular areas of responsibility.

Can't forget the twenty minutes or so each day to write my blog!

I try to work in time for reading journals and books of theology, strategic planning, and spiritual growth. I go over the prayer list, as well as including others who either request prayer or just need prayer.

When I came back from restorative leave last year I found it took weeks, maybe months, to get back into the pace of ministry, which is often thrown off balance by the emergencies and unexpected losses and the serendipitous moments. Not long ago I was returning to the church after a hospital visit. I decided to stop for "just a minute" at the bank to pick up some cash. The person at the ATM in front of me was the daughter of an elderly member who is having a tough time. We spent half an hour outside the bank, discussing his situation.

At least boredom is not a problem, and I actually love the variety that ministry provides. The key, always, is to be open to God's leading and to set priorities which open individuals and the faith community to the presence of Christ. Anthony Robinson encourages clergy to help congregations develop virtuous cycles rather than vicious cycles, and that is always the challenge.

No comments: