Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Avatar


We went to see Avatar on the weekend with friends. We had advance tickets and arrived early, yet the theatre was still close to full when we got there.

The movie is visually spectacular, although I got a touch of seasickness with the 3D technology. Even those who love the film admit that the plot is weak -- nasty humans leave the Earth they have ruined and colonize an edenic planet (Pandora) with humanoid creatures called the Na'vi that have learned to live in harmony with all other living things. One of the bad guys becomes a good guy when he lives with the Na'vi through an avatar. He also falls for the tough but hot Na'vi princess. Bad guys decide to smack down good guys to get more "unobtainium" (pulleeze!) and mighty battle ensues. One reviewer suggests that it is essentially Dances With Wolves In Space.

Would I recommend it? Honestly who cares what I think --resistance is futile, to quote from another space cowboy series. The experience of the 3D is worth it in itself. My wife Ruth observed, rightly I figure, that people still crave spiritual meaning and Avatar serves up a dose of it. We were in the church of cinema on a Sunday evening and the congregation was packed in there. Pandora even has a monumental tree of souls, which sounds a lot like the biblical tree of life to me.

So what did those of you who have seen it think Are others planning to go?

4 comments:

roger said...

Haven't seen it yet, but have tried twice to no avail: sold out both times. To be honest, it is not my first choice of movie to see, but am being dragged by "the gang". So, I've seen two or three other movies in the past week that I can highly recommend: Invictus, It's Complicated, and The Blind Side. I highly recommend all three.

Morgan Freeman, who is always great, does not disappoint in his portrayal of Nelson Mandela in "Invictus". He shows how Mandela overcame incredible odds and how he was able to forgive the very people who imprisoned him. Quite an incredible person.

Nan said...

I haven't seen it either, but I'm with Johnny in recommending Blind Side. It was great.

Laurie said...

All great movies, Avatar was beautiful to watch. Johnny, you missed one, Sherlock Holmes- another great see!

David Mundy said...

I enjoyed Invictus as well. Quite moving at times. Thanks to all three!