Monday, January 04, 2010

Quality of Life


A decade ago we marked the new millenium by ringing the bell at the church I served in the heart of Halifax. A reporter from Maclean's magazine got wind of this and included it in the next issue which looked at what communities did across the country to mark the occasion. We were pleased. Our twelve and fourteen year old daughters were mortified. Now the whole country knew they were losers, spending New Year's Eve with their parents!

Where did that decade go? This morning the CBC asked people on the street if they were better off now than a decade ago. Some said no, because the economy stinks. One young woman said yes because of texting and Facebook. Hmm. A couple said yes, because they are healthy and fed and blessed by family.

Of course we all have different "Quality of Life" indexes. I wonder if we measure wellbeing differently because we are Christians? Gratitude and appreciation of life aren't necessarily dependent on faith of any kind, but we might assume that our relationship with God makes a difference. During the past decade my father died and there have been other situations which have been "less than optimal" in my life. Yet I am grateful to God for so much.

What would your answer be? I suppose I'm asking what that answer is!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Interesting question David. In the past decade, I have lost my remaining parent (who was one of my closest friends) and several aunts and uncles. (I don't feel old enough to be the next generation.) When 2000 began, I was in school part time and employed but knew that my job would end in June and didn't know what if any employment I would have after June. As this decade begins, I am in school very part time and unemployed and looking at a very uncertain and unstable job market. Yet, I feel hopeful, positive, and look forward to the coming year. Perhaps it is due to the gifts that I have received in the past decade: maturity, a deeper relationship with God, a deepening friendship/relationship with my sister, the advent of my two irresistible nieces(9 and 6), and learning to live without regrets.

roger said...

I really like Susan's answer. As she points out, life throws many challenges and it is important to stay hopeful and positive. Easier said than done.

I attended a funeral a few years ago of a work colleague who died far too young. The minister mentioned something about how he was at the gentleman's bedside with his family, and how the last breaths he took were agonizing. He mentioned that what the family experienced, although very painful, was...I believe "rich" was the word.

My take on that was that to experience so many different emotions - good and bad - is what it means to be human.

He explained it much better than I just did - but I have never forgotten it.

I have a very challenging year ahead of me in some respects, and I am going to need some major coping skills. That will be one way....and my faith in God will be another way.

As Susan stated, there are things to be thankful for and we need to always remember that.

Although I'm a little late with this, I wish David and all fellow readers a healthy and happy 2010.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for both of these responses. Both of you point out that we need to choose the "cup half full" for both the past and the future. We can always find the "cup half empty" which leads to bitterness about the past and trepidation about the future.

I hope that both of you and all readers can discover the courage to face the days ahead with the confidence which God gives and we embrace.