Thursday, June 03, 2010

The Darndest Things


Many readers are too young to have firsthand memories of Art Linkletter, who died last week in his nineties. Linkletter had a number of television programs in an earlier era and one popular segment had him asking questions of children who often answered with delightfully unexpected observations. Linkletter parlayed this into very successful books in a Kids Say the Darndest Things series.

I am regularly delighted by the observations and comments of the children in our congregation. I am careful about a "cutesy" exploitation of children, but sometimes I can hardly contain my amazement. A couple of weeks ago I was attempting to explain the mystery of the Holy Spirit using a fan. One six year old piped up and offered that the breeze from the fan represented something else. I was amazed. How does a little guy that age grasp the notion of one thing representing another? After the service a girl came up during the fellowship time and asked if I knew anyone who makes balloon animals. What a great opening line.

Last week another child, a young girl who was doing the Call to Worship, admitted before the service that she was struggling with the word"calm," wanting to say "clam." Her honestly was earnest and charming.

Later that same day I bumped into a parishioner from another time, someone I hadn't seen in roughly twenty years. He asked after our adult children and said that he had thought of our son Isaac only that morning in worship when they were singing the hymn The Church is Wherever God's People are Praising. Apparently Isaac, at age five, had been confused when we sang the same hymn. Why would we sing that "the church is wherever God's people are crazy?"Well, you don't have to be crazy to go to church, but it helps!

Children are wise, unpredictable, thoughtful, disarming and downright funny. Oh yes, and faith-full. What difference do they make for you in the life of your faith community?

6 comments:

roger said...

I just had a thought, David - and it may be ludicrous - but what about giving a young person(say between 12-17) the opportunity to do the sermon? It could be maybe once or twice a year. The topic and material could be in consultation with yourself or a committee.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love your sermons! However it would be interesting to hear the perspective of a youth on certain issues, such as the environment, etc. In addition, it would be a great experience for them.

Just a thought, anyway.

Anonymous said...

A few Sundays ago three youth got up to speak about their trip to Cuba. I was in awe on the last one to speak. She had such confidence. I even envied her that poise.

Laura said...

When I first began spending many Sunday mornings with our youth, I really missed not sitting peacefully in the pew but as our relationships have grown, I really look forward to our Sunday discussions. Their honest questions keep me ever growing in my own faith.(and I do "hear" your sermons David, from the perspective of my family, and the website also...best of both worlds?)
And I suppose the biggest difference the kids make to me is that they are the future of my faith community..but are able (or wired) to live in today without worrying what's around the corner for us in these challenging times. Refreshing!

Susan said...

Children have made a significant difference not just in my faith community but in my personal life as well. While unemployed, I have been volunteering in an after school mentoring program and in the public school as a classroom volunteer. I have also been babysitting my two nieces (one of whom asked you the balloon question, I think) 2 or 3 times weekly. For the past 30 years, I have been either a volunteer Sunday School teacher or a paid CE worker and had the privilege of working with children and youth of all ages. I was the most fortunate of people - I was being paid to do something that I took delight and joy in. Children and youth, if allowed, can add: richness, colour, delight, amazement, imagination, fun, wonder, and play to one's life. They are not afraid of asking questions, and they are curious about the world they live in. They live in the present and not in the past or are waiting for tomorrow. They have taught me so much and still have much to teach me.

David Mundy said...

Good thought Johnny. In previous pastorates we had the confirmands speak on the day they joined the church -- a sort of sermon-by-committee. The congregation loved it.

Pupil, your comments point out the value of nurturing the faith and involvement of our children. Alex is now university age, but she has participated in worship at St. Paul's for years. It shows both in her confidence and her maturity in faith.

Laura, your dedication with those young people also gives you the opportunity to hear and see how they are growing as Christians. I think that is wonderful.

You're correct Susan, it was your neice, who is never short on "outside the box" observations and insights! And I agree wholeheartedly that we are the ones who are showered with blessings by the presence of children in our lives.

Deborah Laforet said...

This weekend at our Conference Annual Meeting, we were asked to provide six word sentences, relating to the 85th anniversary of the church and how we felt about the church today in Saskatchewan. One of the youth from our church came up with six words which expressed his experience that weekend. He is 15-years old and slightly autistic. He usually has a very difficult time expressing himself. His six words: "I could get used to this."

For me, that is a sign of hope for the church.