Friday, June 18, 2010

Strawberry Flavoured Christianity

Next week our pastoral care committee will host a Strawberry Social for our seniors. When the committee first made up the list of invitees I was asked about the age of some of our members, to see whether they should be included. I was the "artful dodger" on this one. I didn't want to take the heat for making anyone older than they actually are!

As of today there are about 65 registrants, which is fitting because those invited had to be over the age of 65. This event may sound pleasant but not particularly Christian in focus. I have a different perspective. I see how something such as this social, or the monthly "Lunch Out" program at St. Paul's gives folk an opportunity to connect with those they may not see from month to month or even year to year because of their restricted mobility.

Mainline denominations are often called Oldline these days because they have an aging membership. The emphasis for a thriving church is youth, and some evangelical congregations are predominantly young and the implication is that young is better. Well, no congregation can survive or flourish without younger people but I am convinced that our "olders" should be treated as "elders," that is with respect and opportunities to gather. Kudos to the pastoral care committee once again, and all those who practice hospitality to our elders in Christ's name.

Any comments?

5 comments:

IanD said...

Hope it goes well. Both of my grandmothers enjoyed these kinds of events, and I imagine there will be many spirits revived by the end of the day.

Lynnof60 said...

Also David, the theme for the afternoon is Quilts which is another way that our elders used to 'gather'. A dying art I fear. It will be a wonderful afternoon with much laughter, song and stories. Wanna come?

Laura said...

, I have always found one of the best parts of being part of a church community is the intergenerational connections. I have learned from and leaned on, and mostly just enjoyed the friendship of many more "experienced" folks and have felt quite rich because of it.
Just had my first taste of local strawberries yesterday....yummo! Enjoy and know that you, our elders, are truly appreciated as time goes by, and we are at fault often for forgetting to tell you so.

Laurie said...

I would think that the majority of people working on committees are 65, close to 65 or older. Our church would not function without them. I sometimes think that by isolating groups " Teens", Seniors" etc that we may be doing more harm then we intend. A big thanks to all who work in the church and outreach. Enjoy the strawberries! (I am allergic to them), everyone is saying they are very good this year.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for these observations.