Monday, March 07, 2011

Hush Now


Yesterday in worship I encouraged folk to both "give up" and "take on" for Lent. I mentioned the need of the local foodbank at this time of year and invited them to the Ash Wednesday service. I pointed out the links to Pray-as-You-Go and the Carbon Fast on our website. The most interesting reaction was to my suggestion that we give up the internet for a day a week during Lent. People chuckled as if to say "ya, like that's gonna happen!"

What does it take to still our spirits in this age of constant connection, much of which is inane? Do I really need to hear more of Charlie Sheen's ranting and raving or that the Leafs might make it to mediocrity? I heard this morning that new studies suggest that our cell phone/internet devices/television use, right up until the lights go off at night, disrupts our sleep.

Would it help for us to shut down the external and internal noise for even a day in each week of this season? I was intrigued to see that on the island of Bali in Indonesia they have a Day of Silence each year which is strictly enforced. http://www.indo.com/culture/nyepi.html There are actually patrol officers to make sure people comply, and tourism is restricted on that day to facilitate the quiet. This is a Hindu tradition but one which resonates with the tone of Lent. Of course we could never come close to this as a society.

So, would it be possible for you to disconnect for a day each week in Lent? What about choosing silence, even if the culture around us would never buy in?

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I could definitely disconnect for a day a week. I am going to give this challenge to our tween and take it on myself. The minute she walks in the door from school or any activity, she heads upstairs to the television or to the computer to get connected.

As we start to look at summer and activities to keep us/her active, I am looking at things that will expand the mind, body and soul and do not include electronics. It will be a challenge!! I love the idea of silence.

IanD said...

Hey now, Leaf slammer ... take it easy. (And they're not mediocre - they're just playing under potential!)

Maybe I should give up my delusional hockey fandom for Lent ... ? (It's pretty disconnected from reality, I'd say.)

janet.rice said...

While on holiday, Beth Lettner and I have been conversing about the importance of disconnect in order to restore ourselves....we conversed electronically...does that negate the thought/intention?

Anonymous said...

I am taking an online course, so I probably would not disconnect for the entire day. Actually using the computer causes me to experience motion sickness, so I try to curb how much time I spend on the computer as much as I can. However, I don't own a cell phone, and can't understand the texting craze. I would probably snap, if forced by any circumstance to partake in that kind of nattering. Texting seems to me to be a torture device.

David Mundy said...

I'm told that some of the young people in the service Sunday considered this possiblity of disconnecting to be an actual impossibility.

It's interesting how technology becomes the "given" in our lives. There was a time when telephones were actually attached to the wall and we were limited by the length of the cord...really, it's true!

I figure any aspect of technology can be tamed for our use, including texting and internet access. It is a matter of choice, which is what Lent encourages us to do-- choose God.

Thanks to all of you for responding.

Oh yes, Ian, I have been a Leaf fan since before you were born and actually remember the last Stanley Cup. Alas, honesty is the best policy. Who knows, God may grace us with a run to the playoffs.

Laura said...

Funny, as I check in late on this topic, I had a chat with my teen this week about better connection, or should I say connection on a deeper level....I know part of it is age, teens will be teens to a certain extent, but maybe continual connecting through texting/tv/media allows too much "connection surfing" and keeps us/them on the surface of life....hmmm

Deborah Laforet said...

I always try to convince my family to take a week a year from "screen time." In other words, no computer, TV, video games, or anything else with a screen. My family always looks at me like I'm crazy.

I am going to propose this idea of once a week for six weeks. Maybe they will like this better because they can choose the day and it's six days instead of seven!