Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Spiritual Practice of Kiltering

I have been thinking about the phrase "off kilter" or "out of kilter" depending on which way you learned it. It means "out of balance" or "wonky." Newfoundlanders use the word "squish," as in "dat 'ouse his squish me son!" I figure off kilter came to mind after hearing that the planet shifted ever so slightly on its axis as a result of the Japan earthquake, but also because many of us are feeling that we have been shifted on our psychological and spiritual axes as a result of this tragedy.

Don't you wonder if this earthquake and tsunami hit a little closer to home than southeast Asia and Haiti because there are greater similarities between our culture and Japanese culture, at least in terms of wealth and technology? Really bad things can happen to poor people, but rich people too?
This got me musing about this season of Lent and how it is a time when we consider how are lives are "off kilter" and might be, well...rekiltered. I know rekiltering isn't a word but it should be. It strikes me that we need a spiritual practice of kiltering, a blending together of the many spiritual practices which bring us back into a whole and holistic relationship with God. Lent isn't just about denial and self-recrimination. It is an invitation into the fullness of life in Christ.

Sometimes I am more aware of the need for spiritual kiltering, of refocus and rebalance, and Lent is one of those times and seasons when I can be intentional about this.

Do you have times when you feel spiritually off kilter and need to regain equilibrium? Are you doing anything this Lent to rekilter?

5 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

While away recently I was shopping (oh yes I was) with my two friends. We went into the local golf club to get some gifts to bring home. What happened next was a lesson in 'mob mentality'. One of us was looking at a bracelet called the "TrionZ"
"These bracelets were designed for the active person. Urban living produces countless positive ions which are associated with symptoms including fatigue, loss of concentration, nausea, headaches and joint pain. Basically, if you're feeling uncomfortable from the stresses of daily living, this bracelet's negative ions are supposed to counteract these symptoms." So as the 'salesperson' said to us "it will bring balance to your life"
Well if that isn't a bunch of malarky I thought. And then one by one we fell until 10 minutes later we were all sporting our new TrionZ bracelets - all orange I might add.....
My point? I'm getting to it....
I think we could start marketing 'kiltering' bracelets....along the lines of the WWJD bracelets.
We all need reminders of the importance of "refocus and rebalance". If people bought pet rocks they would surely buy 'kiltering' bracelets!
Are there times when I feel spiritually off kilter? You bet. If I didn't I wouldn't know the joy of those moments when I am spiritually balanced.
Thanks for listening......

David Mundy said...

I am anointing you as my business manager Lynn.

That's an interesting thought. We often find it helpful to have something tangible as a reminder of commitments and aspirations.

Could you get your design people on this?

Lynnof60 said...

I'm on it! Dragon's Den here I come!

Laura said...

I am late weighing in but have been using a Book of Hours, this Lent as a daily focus, and Henri Nouwen speaks so well to a similar theme,
"Jesus' asks us to shift the point of gravity, to relocate our centre of attention,to change our priorities....It is important for us to realize that Jesus in no way wants us to leave our many-faceted world. He want's us to live in it, but firmly rooted in the centre of all things."

The many facets of our lives do make it full and wonderful mostly, and I was comforted by Nouwen's interpretation that we need not withdraw from the world but learn (and re-learn) to kilter all the parts of our lives to the one necessary thing.

Your kiltering marketing plan is percolating, Lynn...we have some pretty creative, youth labourers...hmmmn

David Mundy said...

It figures that Nouwen (and you Laura) would have something thoughtful to say on this theme. What a remarkable man he was.

Now, there are child labour laws in Ontario...