Saturday, January 28, 2012

Anybody Listening?


While at the Epiphany Explorations conference in Victoria a man who looked very old and very frail circulated a petition opposing the Northern Gateway pipeline which will cross British Columbia. He walked up the slight grade of the sanctuary as though he was climbing in the Rockies but he was determined to give everyone a chance to sign. I know that this guy has been committed to social issues for a lifetime, motivated by his Christian faith.

The hearings about the pipeline are underway in the first location, Edmonton, and those "radical activists" federal Natural Resources minister Joe Oliver complained about are at the microphones. One of them is Derwayne Buffalo, a Cree father of eight. The Globe and Mail reported his comments this way:

“This is the first time I’ve ever spoken to one of these. All my life, all I ever did was work. Work and hunt,” said Mr. Buffalo, 46, his two long braids coming out from under a Detroit Tigers baseball cap. The proposed pipeline would interrupt animal migration and put the environment at risk, he told the panel. “I’m glad that they’ve let us speak on our beliefs,” he added.

Hmm, sounds like a trouble-making tree-hugger to me. I'm thrilled that hundreds of stakeholders have asked to speak at these hearings. I hope that the process is long and laboured. I wish we had the "precautionary principles" that some nations employ so that those proposing potentially disruptive developments had to prove the safety of their projects. I'm glad that the old guy was gathering names, whatever the outcome. It's time we spoke up.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

IanD said...

I'm glad that the media's coverage of environmental issues like Keystone is picking up: tabled for Parliamentary consideration is apparently a new bill to "streamline" environmental assessments for projects such as this.

When will they get it?

Laura said...

Hearing many voices helps to understand complex issues.Although it is a time consuming process, it seems better we not throw caution to the wind (streamline)on important, and often irreversible decisions.Like Ian, I find the media coverage helpful.