Sunday, January 01, 2012

Resolve in 2012

Happy New Year. What else could I say on January 1st!

Yesterday I was thinking about what I hope for in 2012. There are a number of things I want to work on both personally and professionally. From a faith perspective I have decided that I want to return to a more focused prayer life and that I will read more often in the King James Version of the bible, a way of honouring the 2011 anniversary.

The big picture though will be an attempt to be less flighty, more determined to spend the time to develop depth in my understanding of the world around me. I find the deluge of information in our technology based culture does not contribute to careful consideration of patterns and issues. If anything, it creates an illusion of depth rather than actual wisdom.

What about you? Any resolutions you care or dare to share?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I wasn't thinking of it as a resolution [if I did that it would surely fail] but I have been working on a blog about my own faith journey. I have several entries completed but haven't put anything online yet, so its more of a journal at this point. I wanted to do something that would get me writing daily again, but I wanted to combine it with something that would keep me focused on my faith, so I came upon the idea of documenting how my faith evolved, not just as a method of recording but as a journey further into it. I was not raised in a church, and for the most part have been a lone wolf christian in my immediate circle. Most of my early experiences with religion were not of the sort that would have led me to Jesus, but rather held me back and at times prompted me to run in the other direction [like my hair was on fire]. I thought it would give me a way to write it all down so that one day my boys might come to understand the 'why' behind my faith, and hopefully a way to get around my reticence about coming and staying out of the "I'm-a-Christian-and-I-fail-to-see-why-that's-a-problem-in-the-modern-world closet.

IanD said...

Your second resolution is one I share.

I often find myself 'skimming' when I read, and that used to only happen when I was flipping through sports headlines or the like. Now, I seem to have a hard time sitting down and really mentally digesting what I read. Sometimes, I even have a hard time FINISHING reading something I've started!

So, it's time to slow down and really ensure I'm considering what I read in a thoughtful way.

David Mundy said...

I would encourage you and anyone to journal Lori, something I have done for decades. Reflecting on daily experiences, no matter how mundane, has helped me to establish perspective. The step to blogging for public consumption is an interesting one. I am always pondering the implications of having readers for my musings.

I'm afraid our brains have been Googlized Ian! There is little reward or encouragment to read to the end, literally or figuratively. We nay need an Anti-Skimming movement.