Monday, July 23, 2012

Call me Grandpa

Recently we were beaming over some of the best photographs we have ever seen. Granted they were a bit grainy. And they were in black in white. We didn't care at all because they are the ultrasound shots of our first grandchild!

Two months ago our son Isaac phoned to say that he and his wife Rebekah are expecting a child next January. This has been an excruciating eight weeks or so because the grandparents and one great-grandparent were the only ones to know for a while, then siblings and a few others. It has driven me crazy to be sworn to secrecy until they got through the crucial first trimester. Several times I almost let the news slip with other family members, friends, co-workers. And did I ever want to "spill the beans."

We are both thrilled and in fact I think I am more excited than when we realized Ruth was pregnant with Ike thirty years ago. Don't get me wrong, he was planned and I was a happy guy. But what did I know about being a dad, and what if I was lousy at it? Didn't this make me grown up and responsible in a way that was a bigger challenge than anything I had done before?

As a prospective grandfather I can trust that these two will be terrific parents and I can savour a very different role. As a minister I have celebrated with so many happy grandparents who turn into delightfully sappy, bragging fools when their grandkids come along. Now it's my turn!

We are now open for business for congrats and comments.

7 comments:

bim said...

Congratulations from your co-worker who has been awaiting this news for you both. How exciting! Brings back lots of memories - nothing like it. All the best to the expectant couple too. Life-changing event for all.

dmy said...

Congrats Grandpa & Grandma, all the best to the whole family, you will love the new roles!

janet.rice said...

Congratulations to both of you! Grandkids are precious gifts...welcome to this wonderful stage in your lives.

Nancy said...

How exciting. Congratulations!!

Laura said...

Ditto,ditto,ditto!

Nan said...

How exciting for all of you. Thus begins yet another phase in your journey. Enjoy this very special time in all your lives. Congrats to all.

David Mundy said...

Finally I can look at my blog! I wasn't connected in Wyoming and I flew in early Sunday morning only to leave a few hours later. We saw the expectant parents yesterday in Quebec and today we are in PEI.

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. We are excited.