Thursday, July 12, 2012

Going Deeper

Belden Lane is a Protestant theologian teaching in a Roman Catholic University. I have appreciated his books The Solace of Fierce Landscapes and  Ravished By Beauty, Both invite readers in very different waysto consider God's preseence in Creation. There is an intellectual depth to Lane's writing which speaks to me, so much so that I am my way to Wyoming today to spend a week with Dr. Lane, Yup, Wyoming, one of the least populated states in the Union, and not all that easy to reach from Canada. I am going to Ring Lake Ranch, a Christian conference centre which sounds like a beautiful place.

It would be great if some of these opportunities to spend time with leading theologians were closer to home but I have enjoyed the landscape of New Mexico, Colorado, and now Wyoming and the conference centres where they teach. Because we are in residence at these places there is plenty of opportunity to chat over meals with the presenters and explore some of their ideas, Last year I met William Brown, an Old Testament theologian who has written a brilliant book called The Seven Pillars of Creation. I told him that his chapter on Job was my favourite. He smiled and told me it was the one he most enjoyed writing, so perhaps that came through.

I won't be able to report on what I have  experienced until after my return, but I will fill you in. I love these opportunities to go deeper.

Comments?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Big Horn Sheep! Butch Cassidy! and Sheep Eater Indians! all that and beautiful scenery. Enjoy!

IanD said...

Jeeeaaalous ...