Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Let's Talk About It

We met on Saturday morning to discuss Anne Rice's novel about Jesus, Christ the Lord: the Road to Cana. There were 15 of us, men and women, younger and older, regulars and newcomers. I was at the church by 7:30 which is not usually Plan A for a Saturday morning, but when everyone arrived by 9:00 I was ready to roll.

The discussion was very worthwhile, and as always individuals offered observations and insights which just hadn't occurred to me. I would like to think I was well prepared, but I was only part of the picture. After we were done one newcomer who hadn't said anything came up and offered a wonderful perspective about Jesus maintaining the attitude of stillness in the midst of turmoil throughout the novel. In a way this is a key insight about the Jesus of the gospels and more worthwhile than anything I had to offer. I wish she had shared it with the group!

This is the great thing about study and discussion groups. We have smart, wise, spiritual folk in our congregation and we learn from each other and from God. Today we resume morning bible study and I look forward to hearing from the "usual suspects" and those who will join us for the first time?

Any thoughts about Saturday morning or our Wednesday study group? About study/discussion groups? Are you going to join us?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thinking of one of our Gathering Place friends at church on Sunday. When I stopped to talk with her at the front of the church, she had the Jesus doll in a tight embrace. She told me in no uncertain terms that Jesus made her feel better. I paused...and absorbed her simple lesson.
In the fullness of life, discussion groups like that with our Wednesday morning gang is the pause I so often need to slow down, and remember that I am not running the/my world single handedly....

willowjakmom said...

Thank you for the push to attend yesterday's study group. I think the title is a bit of a misnomer. I didn't have to take notes or write a test, but I left feeling challenged and I sat in the room feeling like I was in a safe and welcoming place. Being in a place with people who are on their own personal journeys is very comforting and I am very grateful to be included in this community. I really look forward to what is to come.

Nan said...

We were away when this discussion was going on, but I read the book and the one before it before we left. Would love to have been a part of the discussion. Anne Rice certainly gave us food for thought as she let us in on Jesus' "feelings" and thoughts on what was going on around him and in his life. A very different perspective than I had ever thought about before.